Chelsea beat Everton to win FA CupMay 31st, 2009 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
London, May 30 (DPA) Frank Lampard scored the winner as Chelsea beat Everton 2-1 Saturday to win the FA Cup for the fifth time in their history.
Louis Saha fired Everton ahead after 25 seconds but Didier Drogba headed the equalizer on 21 minutes and Lampard slammed in the winner with his left-foot 18 minutes from time.
It is the second time in three years that Chelsea have won the Cup, while it gave outgoing coach Guus Hiddink the perfect send-off.
The match began in the most dramatic fashion as Everton scored the fastest goal in FA Cup finals history.
John Obi Mikel could only head a cross weakly in the direction of Saha and the former Manchester United and Fulham striker slashed a left-foot shot past Petr Cech.
Chelsea had barely been in the match in the first 20 minutes but totally against the run of play, they were level.
Florent Malouda was given too much time on the left and his cross picked out Drogba, who headed powerfully past Tim Howard.
The scores stayed level until half-time and Nicolas Anelka then lifted a lob narrowly over the bar for Chelsea.
Tim Cahill tested Cech from distance and Saha headed over but 18 minutes from time, Lampard was allowed a second bite at the cherry and the midfielder found the corner of the Everton net.
Malouda thought he had scored when he smashed a long-range effort onto the bar before bouncing down.
The Frenchman thought the ball had bounced over the line - and television replays suggested it had - but the referee waved play on.
In the end, though, it did not matter and Chelsea hung on to win the trophy for the third time in nine seasons.
Hiddink, who took over at Chelsea in February, is due to return to his role as Russia manager.
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea will win FA Cup: Ancelotti - Feb 13, 2010
- Chelsea stun Barcelona at home in Champions League - Apr 19, 2012
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: France get quarterfinal with 2-0 Sweden loss - Jun 20, 2012
- Chelsea planning summer clear out of its five big stars - Feb 04, 2011
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- Chelsea boss Ancelotti says Sturridge's twin-goals saved him from 'running naked' - Jan 04, 2010
- Lampard hails Drogba for Chelsea's historic win - May 20, 2012
- Drogba double takes Chelsea back to summit - Feb 08, 2010
- Chelsea coach Ancelotti hails magic Lamps after Birmingham win - Jan 28, 2010
- Terry on target as Chelsea beat United - Nov 09, 2009
- United, Chelsea maintain pace as Arsenal stumble - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: didier, dramatic fashion, equalizer, fa cup finals, fifth time, frank lampard, frenchman, fulham, guus hiddink, john obi mikel, left foot, louis saha, manchester united, midfielder, nicolas anelka, replays, striker, third time, tim cahill, tim howard