Cheerleaders ‘covered’ after threatMay 11th, 2008 - 7:00 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, May 11 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) threat to disrupt the DLF Indian Premier League (IPL) match here Sunday to protest the “indecent” dresses of the cheerleaders forced the organisers to change the dress code minutes before the match. The dress code was changed by the management of the Deccan Chargers before they clashed with Kolkatta Knight Riders at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium.
The cheerleaders of Deccan Chargers and Knight Riders were seen with their bodies fully covered. Even the dancers and singers, who entertained the spectators before the start of the match, were fully covered.
The BJP had threatened to disrupt the match if the cheerleaders continue “indecent” performances. The police made elaborate security arrangements at the stadium to prevent any incident.
Hyderabad Cricket Association (HCA) secretary Shivlal Yadav told IANS that an agreement was reached over the issue after BJP’s state president Bandaru Dattatreya met him. The BJP leader demanded that the cheerleaders should wear proper dress. He said the present dress was “against Indian culture”.
“I discussed the issue with the management of Deccan Chargers and they agreed to change the dress,” he said.
Deccan Chargers have brought a dozen cheerleaders from Australia. They performed during the eight matches the hosts have played so far, including three at home.
Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi, who is playing for Deccan Chargers, had also raised an objection to the cheerleaders’ performance during the matches saying it would distract the players.
- Hyderabad cricket body seeks divine intervention for victory - Oct 14, 2011
- Gilchrist still doubtful for Tuesday's match - May 07, 2012
- Daredevils aim to again top the table (Preview) - May 09, 2012
- Knight Riders opt to bowl against Deccan Chargers - Apr 22, 2012
- KKR move to the top with win over Deccan Chargers (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- KKR set Deccan Chargers 164-run target - Apr 11, 2011
- KKR vs Deccan Chargers match at Kolkata washed out - Apr 25, 2012
- Whatmore asks KKR players of no more slip-ups in IPL - May 03, 2011
- RCB desperate to return to winning streak - May 05, 2012
- Super Kings to start IPL title defence against Mumbai Indians - Jan 06, 2012
- Sourav fined $20,000 for slow over rate - Mar 13, 2010
- IPL Highlights 2010: Kolkata Knight Riders Win - Mar 13, 2010
- Court lifts curbs on arrest of Hyderabad cricket officials (Lead) - Nov 15, 2011
- Poor turnout marks CLT20 qualifying matches - Sep 20, 2011
- Ganguly find $20,000 for Kight Riders' slow over rate (Lead) - Mar 13, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chargers, cheerleaders, cricket association, dattatreya, deccan, dlf, dress code, hca, indian culture, knight riders, organisers, proper dress, rajiv gandhi international stadium, security arrangements, shahid afridi, spectators, state president, yadav