Cheer girls make way for Bhangra boysMay 1st, 2008 - 12:30 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Move over cheer girls. Here come our own bhangra boys to add a desi flavour to the Indian Premier League (IPL). GMR, owners of Delhi Daredevils, replaced the cheer girls with the bhangra boys as the entertainment value for the crowd when Delhi Daredevils took on Bangalore Royal Challengers at a packed Feroze Shah Kotla Stadium here Wednesday.
The IPL franchise owners roped in the skimpily clad cheerleaders from the European countries at the start of the tournament, giving a western touch to the IPL. The girls were an instant hit with the spectators.
The moral police in India, though, woke up to the cheergirls being against the culutural ethos of the country. With politicians and social activists joining the fray, the controversy over the concept of cheerleaders frothed over.
GMR Wednesday quickly changed its tack in ‘critainment’ - cricket soaked in entertainment - and brought in a group of 30 bhangra boys, who did not disappoint the predominantly Punjabi crowd packing the Kotla.
Not only the spectators but Daredvils’ brand ambassador and Bollywood star Akhsay Kumar accompanied them and danced to their energetic beat. Singer Kailash Kher performed his few top chartbusters to enthuse the spectators.
Akshay also sat in the dugout of Daredevils and cheered for the home team.
The cheergirls of the visiting Royal Challengers - the famous Red Skins of Washington - were, however, present. The skin show was cut down, though.
The girls did not get much to cheer about as Daredevils’ batsman Gautam Gambhir came down heavily on the Royal Challengers’ bowlers.
The only time the girls cheered was when Gambhir departed after scoring 86 off 54 balls.
Royal Challengers also had their brand ambassador Katrina Kaif with them.
- Fans looking to Sehwag to turn things around for Daredevils - Apr 19, 2011
- IPL kicks off in Kolkata on a high note - Apr 11, 2011
- Daredevils opt to field against Royal Challengers - May 17, 2012
- Virat Kohli fined for RCB's slow over rate - May 18, 2012
- Daredevils pace attack has blossomed under Simmons: Morkel - May 05, 2012
- Daredevils score 152/6 against Rajsthan Royals - Apr 29, 2012
- Three cheers for Indian culture, say IPL's foreign cheerleaders - Apr 12, 2012
- Weekend crowd prefers IPL to Bollywood movies - Apr 23, 2011
- Daredevils fans brave heat, fill the stands - Apr 19, 2012
- Bangalore Royals cheerleaders, GMR's Bhangra troupe rock Kotla's IPL match - Apr 30, 2008
- Gautam Gambhir fined for slow over rate - May 08, 2012
- Local lad Uthappa rescues team, cheers crowd - Mar 24, 2010
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Daredevils opt to bat against Knight Riders - May 07, 2012
- Cooper hopes to carry on his good form against Daredevils - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: akhsay kumar, batsman, bhangra, bollywood star, challengers, chartbusters, cheer girls, cheergirls, daredevils, desi flavour, dugout, entertainment value, franchise owners, gmr, ipl, kailash kher, katrina kaif, red skins, skin show, social activists