Charlesworth’s decision unfortunate: GurbuxJuly 11th, 2008 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 11 (IANS) Hockey Olympian Gurbux Singh Friday termed India’s hockey consultant Ric Charlesworth’s decision to resign as ‘unfortunate’ and called for sorting out the problem through discussion. “This is very unfortunate. Who is responsible, I don’t know. It may be due to some ego problem on someone’s part,” Gurbux told IANS.
Gurbux, a member of the gold winning Indian team in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, said it will be a case of lost opportunity for the country if Charlesworth did not agree to change his decision. “Here is a person who knows modern international hockey in and out. We should have used him well”.
The former national selector said former national coach Joachim Carvallo also had a ego problem with Aussie Charlesworth.
“They did not want him to be involved with the team for the Olympic qualifiers. And probably Charlesworth also resented the way he was having to take orders from three authorities - Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), Sports Authority of India (SAI) and the union sports ministry,” Gurbux added.
“I hope the issue can still be sorted out. Let the Indian Olympic Association sit with Charlesworth. His services should be utilised.”
Before leaving Hyderabad, where he was to assess the performance of the Indian players in the Junior Asia Cup, Charlesworth told the media that he was frustrated at the way the hockey administration ran the sport in the country.
Citing reasons for his quitting, Charlesworth stated that he was frustrated with the way things were handled in Indian hockey. He also said that he was mischievously not allowed to be a part of the men’s Olympic qualifiers by the IHF and the SAI.
- WSH may decide Saturday to postpone the league - Dec 09, 2011
- WSH gets National Stadium, Olympic camps shifted out - Dec 02, 2011
- New hockey coach Nobbs to focus on game's development (Round up) - Jun 30, 2011
- WSH organisers want government to mediate with HI - Dec 10, 2011
- FIH president Negre to meet HI, IHF next week - Apr 07, 2012
- HI requests SAI not to allow WSH at National Stadium - Nov 29, 2011
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- Hockey India to pursue Leslie's quest for lost gold medals - Jul 24, 2012
- FIH gives HI and IHF a month to resolve tangle - Feb 27, 2012
- Michael Nobbs is India's hockey coach till 2016 Olympics (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- FIH rejects HI-IHF unification (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- World Series Hockey postponed to Feb 29 - Dec 12, 2011
- FIH hopeful of ending impasse before Olympic qualifiers - Sep 13, 2011
- WSH and IHF to give cash incentives for hockey team's Olympic success - Nov 21, 2011
- Sports Minister Maken will try to convince Negre - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: asia cup, authorities, carvallo, charlesworth, ego problem, gold, hyderabad, ihf, India, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international hockey, joachim, national coach, olympic qualifiers, olympics, sports authority, sports ministry, tokyo olympics, union sports