Chandigarh euphoric over World Cup winApril 3rd, 2011 - 1:05 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 2 (IANS) India’s sensational cricket World Cup win after 28 years sent waves of cheer across this city and in the neighbouring towns of Punjab and Haryana Saturday night.
The night sky was illuminated with fireworks and boomed with the thunderous noise of crackers.
People in droves came out on streets to celebrate. They danced to music, especially the beats of “Chak de India” and Punjabi dhol, and distributed sweets.
Youngsters drove around in cars and open jeeps, waving the tricolour and screamed out in joy.
Priyanka Singhal, an ardent cricket fan told IANS: “The foundation of India’s victory was laid down in Mohali when we beat Pakistan. All my friends are coming to my place to celebrate this win together.”
“The whole team under Dhoni oozes extraordinary energy. At this point of time nothing is impossible for them. We are very happy,” Ankit Sharma, another cricket fan, told IANS.
- Kolkatans celebrate cricket World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- Cricket fan killed in freak accident in Mohali - Mar 31, 2011
- India in carnival mode after World Cup win (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2011
- Wild celebrations in Mumbai as India wins - Apr 03, 2011
- Indian expats sing and dance to celebrate victory - Apr 03, 2011
- Spurt in demand for cricket-themed firecrackers as World Cup, Holi coincide - Mar 18, 2011
- Wildly happy India cheers night that was - Mar 31, 2011
- Mumbai erupts in celebrations, awaits manic Saturday (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Celebrations erupt in Mumbai - Mar 31, 2011
- People partied on streets to celebrate India's World Cup win - Apr 03, 2011
- World Cup win festivity continues Sunday - Apr 03, 2011
- Games ceremony sways to 1,000 percussionists - Oct 03, 2010
- Shillong celebrates India victory - Mar 31, 2011
- From slums to skycrapers, Mumbai celebrates World Cup win (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- Pakistani visitors take back 'bagfull of good memories' - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: 28 years, ankit, chak de india, cheer, crackers, cricket fan, cricket world cup, droves, fireworks, haryana, jeeps, mohali, neighbouring towns, night sky, priyanka, punjab, punjabi dhol, sweets, tricolour, youngsters