Chandhok to be reserve driver for Team LotusMarch 22nd, 2011 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, March 22 (IANS) India’s Karun Chandhok has been confirmed as a reserve driver for Team Lotus for the ensuing 2011 Formula One series, which begins March 27 in Melbourne, Australia.
The 27-year old Chandhok joins race drivers Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli, according to a release from the Malaysian team.
Luiz Razia is the third driver while Davide Valsecchi and Ricardo Teixeira are the test drivers, the release added.
Chandhok, who made his Formula One debut last year with the Hispania Racing Team, will take part in a number of Friday practice sessions, and will help the team optimise the T128’s performance potential on-track, alongside his ambassadorial role for the team as one of its official drivers.
Team Lotus principal Tony Fernandes said: “Karun’s appointment gives us not only his immense driving talent and F1 experience, both of which will help us develop the car even further, but also brings one of the warmest, most professional personalities I have the pleasure of knowing into the Team Lotus family.”
“I do not think it is going too far to say that Karun represents the future of motor racing - he is living proof that geography is no boundary to talent and ambition and that you will succeed if you work hard and keep dreaming,” Fernandes said.
Chandhok said: “I’ve been talking to the team for quite a while about a role with them and I’m delighted we’re now able to confirm that I will be driving for Team Lotus in 2011.”
“The details of exactly for which sessions I will be in the car are being worked out now,” he said.
“These are very exciting times for Team Lotus and it’s a real honour to be able to play a part in helping shape this team’s future,” he added.
- Painful to watch race from sidelines: Karun Chandhok - Oct 25, 2011
- Karun to race in German Grand Prix as Trulli steps aside - Jul 21, 2011
- Karun qualifies 21st for German GP - Jul 24, 2011
- Karun's hopes of Indian GP still hang in balance - Oct 23, 2011
- Caterham sign Petrov for 2012 F1 season - Feb 17, 2012
- Buddh circuit gets a thumbs-up but dust remains a concern - Oct 28, 2011
- Karun Chandhok to drive in Friday practice at Valencia GP - Jun 22, 2011
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- FIA approves name changes for three F1 teams - Nov 07, 2011
- Lotus confirms Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen as drivers - Dec 14, 2009
- Chandhok eyeing test driver's spot in F1 - Jan 28, 2011
- It is tough but Indian GP track will be ready, says Chandhok - Jul 06, 2011
- SRK brings a touch of Bollywood to Sepang International Circuit - Apr 04, 2010
- India welcomes Formula One circus - Oct 28, 2011
- An emotional and special moment: Mallya - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: ambition, davide, formula one, honour, jarno trulli, karun, kovalainen, kuala lumpur, living proof, lotus, melbourne australia, personalities, practice sessions, race drivers, razia, ricardo teixeira, team lotus, test drivers, tony fernandes, valsecchi