Chandhok qualifies seventh for Six Hours of SilverstoneAugust 26th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Silverstone (England), Aug 26 (IANS) Indian driver Karun Chandhok and his JRM Racing enjoyed a solid qualifying session in preparation for the Six Hours of Silverstone in the World Endurance Championship here.
Chandhok qualified in the seventh lap for the fourth round of the championship Saturday, just half a second from the fastest car. This came in spite of a gearbox issue in the earlier practice.
Chandhok started on intermediate tyres following a heavy rainstorm between practice and qualifying. He completed four laps with a best time of 1:53.957. Later, he moved to the slicks for his flying laps.
The 28-year-old completed six further laps on the dry tyres, improving to a 1:46.758 to qualify seventh. An even quicker time was on the cards if not for the traffic.
“Today we were even closer to the front and there was only a hair’s breadth between ourselves, Strakka and Rebellion. This is a big step forward from the previous races where we have been a lot further back. We could have gone even faster but traffic in the last corner cost me some time. We can be relatively satisfied given we missed the earlier session,” said the Indian.
“We are on a similar pace to our rivals, which we haven’t been in previous races. It bodes well for the race and for the rest of the season. The forecast is for occasional showers. We’ll just deal with everything as it comes,” said chief engineer Nigel Stepney commenting on Sunday’s race.
Team principal James Rumsey said: “A very solid qualifying by Karun. We’ve looked genuinely competitive from the start of the event. Although we would have liked the qualifying position to reflect this, it’s a mark of how far we’ve come since we entered endurance racing at the start of the year.”
- Chandhok finishes seventh at Silverstone - Aug 27, 2012
- Motorsports: Karun and team in top 10 - Aug 25, 2012
- Karun Chandhok moves to touring cars - Jan 12, 2012
- JRM team, Karun hoping for good result at Le Mans - Aug 23, 2012
- Karun's team to start fifth in World Endurance Racing - Mar 17, 2012
- JRM finish 17th in Endurance race - Mar 18, 2012
- Motorsports: Karun, team fourth in Sao Paulo practice - Sep 14, 2012
- Motorsport: Karun, team finish sixth at Le Mans - Jun 17, 2012
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- Chandhok eighth fastest in World Endurance qualifier - May 05, 2012
- World Endurance: Karun and team qualify eighth (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Karun and team to start 11th at Le Mans - Jun 15, 2012
- Karun's team 11th quickest at Le Mans - Jun 14, 2012
- Force India's Sutil and Di Resta 8th and 12th at the German GP qualifying (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Sixth for Force India; Karun 20th in German Grand Prix - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: best time, breadth, chief engineer, endurance racing, fastest car, four laps, gearbox, heavy rainstorm, james rumsey, jrm racing, occasional showers, rebellion, rivals, silverstone england, six hours, slicks, spite, team principal, tyres, world endurance championship