Chanderpaul to work with young batsmenSeptember 29th, 2011 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Georgetown (Guyana), Sep 29 (IANS/CMC) Shivnarine Chanderpaul will pass on to the youngsters some of the knowledge that has helped make him one of the most reliable West Indies batsmen over the last decade when the Guyana national team begins its preparations for the WICB Regional Super50 championship to be hosted here.
The experienced left-hander will not be available for the competition due to Test-match duties with West Indies in Bangladesh. But the Guyana Cricket Board said he will participate in the training camp in an effort to assist the batsmen to be better prepared for the next month’s competition.
Apart from their capture of the Caribbean Twenty20 Championship last year, Guyana have generally struggled in regional competitions in recent times, with their batting, in particular, being a letdown.
The decision to get Chanderpaul to take a more active role in advising the young batsmen in the squad is part of a process to ease the problem.
The batting in the competition is likely to be further boosted by the presence of another experienced batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan.
He missed the national One-day competition and was not picked for the West Indies trip to Bangladesh due to a recurring back injury.
Sarwan is expected to be fully fit to resume competitive cricket a week before the regional competition commences.
He will undergo a fitness test just before the start of the Super50 and if he is not fit enough he will be replaced in the Guyana side.
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- 'Conspiracy to get rid of Gayle, Sarwan' - Dec 11, 2011
- Guyana president asks Caricom to back Gayle - Jul 03, 2011
- Concerns over government interference in Guyana cricket - Dec 28, 2011
- Sarwan lashes out at GCB over CT20 non-selection - Dec 07, 2011
- WICB refuses contracts to Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Pollard - Oct 05, 2011
- Ramdin, Shillingford recalled to Windies Test squad - Sep 23, 2011
- WICB chief to meet Guyana President over management issues - Aug 29, 2011
- Windies can impress but Shiv needs to bat higher, says Lara - May 17, 2012
- Chanderpaul's son takes centre stage - Jul 04, 2012
- Touring West Indies under fire from English media - May 03, 2012
- Sarwan dropped from West Indies squad for third Test - Jul 04, 2011
- Sarwan plays down interest in West Indies tour - May 04, 2012
- Brathwaite sole newcomer in Windies squad for Bangladesh - Sep 22, 2011
- Bishoo named Guyana's cricketer-of-the-year - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: back injury, bangladesh, bs, caribbean, cricket board, dg, fitness test, georgetown guyana, last decade, left hander, letdown, match, presence, ramnaresh sarwan, regional competition, regional competitions, training camp, twenty20, west indies, youngsters