Chanderpaul doubtful for Birmingham TestJune 8th, 2012 - 2:59 am ICT by IANS
Birmingham (England), June 8 (IANS/CMC) Veteran left-hander Shivnarine Chanderpaul is a doubt for the final Test against England after picking up a side strain.
The 37-year-old was taken to hospital here Thursday where he underwent scans before rejoining the team.
“He went to the hospital for a scan. A day off gives him a chance to see how well he goes,” a West Indies team spokesman said, reports Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC).
Luckily for the Windies, persistent rain ruled out play on the opening day Thursday without a ball bowled at Edgbaston and neither side had time to declare their playing eleven.
Chanderpaul has been one of the bright spots of an otherwise bleak tour for the Windies, with 235 runs from four Test innings including two half-centuries.
The tourists have been hard hit with injuries in recent weeks with the fast bowling pair of Kemar Roach and Shannon Gabriel forced to return to the Caribbean prematurely.
West Indies trail 0-2 in the three-Test series after losses at Lord’s and Trent Bridge.
- Pacer Gabriel in West Indies squad for England - Apr 28, 2012
- Chanderpaul defying England in Lord's Test - May 20, 2012
- Gibson says Roach loss a huge blow but looks to Best, Edwards - May 31, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- Ramdin jumps 20 spots amidst controversy - Jun 13, 2012
- Injured Darren Bravo out of tour, returning home - Jun 19, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Eyes on struggling Windies pace duo ahead of Lord's Test - May 15, 2012
- Chanderpaul digs in at top; Samuels, Roach also move up - May 23, 2012
- West Indies look for confidence booster in tour match - Jun 02, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
- Samuels puts West Indies on course for victory - Aug 05, 2012
- Chanderpaul narrowly misses double ton as Warwickshire win big - Aug 26, 2011
- Chanderpaul torments Yorkshire with century - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: birmingham england, bowling, caribbean media, centuries, doubt, edgbaston, final test, kemar, left hander, losses, opening day, persistent rain, roach, shannon, team spokesman, test innings, test series, tourists, trent bridge, west indies team