Chanderpaul digs in at top; Samuels, Roach also move upMay 23rd, 2012 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, May 23 (IANS/CMC) World No. One batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul has stretched his lead at the top of the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) batting rankings, following his two half-centuries in the opening Lord’s Test against England last weekend.
The veteran left-hander has now moved to 878 rating points, 57 clear of the second placed South African batsman AB de Villiers, whom he recently replaced at the top.
Chanderpaul is now 22 points shy of the 900-point mark yet again, which he last reached four years ago.
Chanderpaul stroked 87 in the first innings and 91 in the second as the West Indies put up a brave fight before losing to England an hour before tea on the final day of the Test match.
Batsman Marlon Samuels also enjoyed healthy movement in the rankings, jumping eight places to 55th after his second innings of 86.
Opener Adrian Barath also made a leap in the batting rankings, rising 14 spots following scores of 42 and 14.
There was no such luck, however, for vice-captain Kirk Edwards whose double failure at Lord’s saw him plunge nine places to 53rd. The right-hander scored one and nought.
Meanwhile, speedster Kemar Roach has jumped one place to a career-best ranking of 16th following his match-haul of six for 168.
His spell of three for 60 in the second innings put England on the backfoot for the first time during the game.
There was much for captain Darren Sammy to celebrate as he moved five places up to 68th in the batting rankings and two places to 23rd in the bowling rankings.
He is now ranked eighth among Test all-rounders.
- Ramdin jumps 20 spots amidst controversy - Jun 13, 2012
- Roach leaps to career-best 18th in ICC Rankings - Apr 21, 2012
- Chanderpaul moves to fifth in Test rankings - Apr 14, 2012
- Edwards, Chanderpaul rise in rankings after good show against India - Jul 12, 2011
- Viv blasts woeful Windies, says Ramdin has 'deteriorated' - May 29, 2012
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- Gayle leaps to fourth in T20 rankings - Jul 03, 2012
- Chanderpaul defying England in Lord's Test - May 20, 2012
- Chanderpaul back as No.1 Test batsman - Apr 29, 2012
- Chanderpaul anxious to score - Aug 01, 2012
- Edwards out, Ramdin returns as Windies vice captain - Jul 23, 2012
- Century-maker Samuels gives it back to Anderson - May 26, 2012
- Chanderpaul in 10k club, says will help young batsmen - Apr 27, 2012
- Chanderpaul rallies Windies but Lyon triggers late slide - Apr 18, 2012
- Windies rally but facing huge task to beat Aussies - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: 53rd, ab de villiers, backfoot, barath, brave fight, captain kirk, centuries, double failure, international cricket council, kemar, leap, left hander, marlon samuels, right hander, roach, rounders, sammy, test match, vice captain, west indies