Chanderpaul, Brathwaite consolidate Windies’ innings (Tea report)November 6th, 2011 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 6 (IANS) Veteran Shivnarine Chanderpaul and youngster Kraigg Brathwaite accumulated runs patiently as the West Indies crawled to 159 for three in their first innings at tea on the first day of the first Test against India here Sunday.
Opener Brathwaite was batting on 61 and Chanderpaul 55 as they did the bulk of the scoring with their 87-run stand for the fourth wicket in the second session, when 90 runs were scored.
The Indian bowlers underwent some frustrating moments in the post lunch session as both Brathwaite and Chanderpaul showed no hurry in scoring and played safely on a slow track.
The duo showed the perfect temperament to grind it out against a fresh looking Indian bowling attack. The only aggressive shot to come off Chandepaul’s bat was when he stepped out to hit Ashwin for a six straight over the bowler’s head.
Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni introduced spin as early as in the 10th over and double strikes from left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha (2/30) restricted West Indies’ progress in the first session after Darren Sammy won the toss and opted to bat.
Brathwaite and Kieran Powell (14) carefully saw off the first nine overs of pace but the introduction of spin in the next over with Ojha invited trouble for them.
Ojha dropped an easy return catch from Powell in his first over but atoned for it by trapping the left-handed batsman leg-before shortly after that.
Ojha, who is spearheading the spin attack in the absence of out-of- form Harbhajan Singh, bowled cleverly and kept the West Indies batsmen guessing. He foxed Kirk Edwards (15) with his flight only to take a good return catch in the 24th over.
Debutant off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin got his maiden Test wicket in the fist over after resumption, rattling the stumps of Darren Bravo (12), who was stranded on his back-foot in his attempt to cut.
- Chanderpaul, Brathwaite pull West Indies out of trouble (Roundup) - Nov 06, 2011
- Ojha's double strike restricts Windies to 69/2 (Lunch report) - Nov 06, 2011
- Ashwin strikes to remove West Indies openers (Tea Report) - Nov 22, 2011
- Top-four hit 50s as West Indies reach 267/2 (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- Kotla Test: India in trouble as 17 wickets tumble on 2nd day - Nov 07, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test, Day One - Nov 06, 2011
- Ojha, Ashwin bowl out West Indies (Lunch Report) - Nov 26, 2011
- West Indies end Day One at 256/5 - Nov 06, 2011
- Tea scoreboard: India vs. West indies, first Test - Nov 06, 2011
- Bravo's ton puts West Indies in command at Wankhede - Nov 23, 2011
- India aiming for a clean sweep of West Indies - Nov 21, 2011
- Good to see the bowlers hunting in a pack: Dhoni - Nov 17, 2011
- West Indies battling to save match, series - Nov 16, 2011
- West Indies collapse leaves Aussies in control of final Test - Apr 25, 2012
- Openers give India strong start; Ojha gets maiden five-wicket haul - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: debutant, first test, indian bowlers, indian bowling, indian captain, kieran, left arm, lunch session, mahendra singh dhoni, maiden test, pragyan, ravichandran, resumption, sammy, second session, stumps, tea report, test wicket, west indies, youngster