Chanderpaul anxious to scoreAugust 1st, 2012 - 2:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), Aug 1 (IANS/CMC) Veteran batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul says he is anxious to improve his game when the West Indies face New Zealand in the second and final cricket Test at Sabina Park Jamaica Thursday.
Chanderpaul, a usually reliable middle order batsman, was caught behind for a duck in the West Indies mammoth second innings total of 522 in the first Test in Antigua.
The 37-year-old Guyanese, who has slipped two places in the ICC Test rankings to number four, says he wants to be among the runs in Jamaica, CMC reports.
“It seems to be a habit. Lots of times when runs scoring, I am not into it,” said Chanderpaul who now trails South Africa’s Hashim Amla by just six ratings points in the ICC Test rankings.
“But I am hoping I can change that and hopefully get some runs in this match and hopefully everybody else performs also.”
The West Indies will be hoping for a rare series win needing only to avoid defeat to take the two-match series following their victory in Antigua Sunday.
Chanderpaul said the team has renewed confidence ahead of the second Test.
“It is a new game. I know we have some confidence coming from the last game but still we have to assess again. We have to go out and play well and once we do that we can come out on top again,” he told reporters at a news conference in Kingston Tuesday.
“We have been playing some top teams around the world and we have been taking Test matches into the last day and it is something we have not done a lot of in the past and now we have been doing more of it and one day we would be able to turn the corners,” he added.
- West Indies eyeing first clean sweep in ten years (Preview) - Aug 02, 2012
- Fletcher hails West Indies improvement under Gibson - Jul 13, 2011
- Gayle impressed with Powell's century - Jul 31, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Deonarine, Fudadin shine with 50s as visa wait continues - May 08, 2012
- Gayle hoping to give home fans special treat - Jul 05, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- No Bravo for warm-up match against Black Caps - Jul 15, 2012
- Roach, Gayle fire West Indies to victory - Jul 30, 2012
- Sammy keeps eyes on the skies as Windies face Lions - May 10, 2012
- New Zealand nose ahead despite Samuels' century - Aug 04, 2012
- Windies will win series if they win opener, says Bravo - Jul 05, 2012
- Chanderpaul moves to fifth in Test rankings - Apr 14, 2012
- Edwards, Chanderpaul rise in rankings after good show against India - Jul 12, 2011
- Chanderpaul joins 10,000-run club but Windies face defeat - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: confidence, cricket test, first test, guyanese, habit, hashim amla, kingston jamaica, last game, match, new game, news conference, rare series, sabina park jamaica, second test, south africa, test matches, test rankings, veteran, victory, west indies