Chance for India A youngsters to impress national selectorsSeptember 27th, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sept 27 (IANS) A host of youngsters will be looking to impress the national selectors when they turn out for India A against New Zealand A in the first of the two four-day matches at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium here Sunday.India A skipper Suresh Raina, all-rounders Yusuf Pathan and Ravindra Jadeja, bowlers Amit Mishra and Pradeep Sangwan, among others will be watched with more than casual interest.
Having finished runners-up to Australia A in the just-concluded three-nation one-day tournament here, the Indians would be only too keen to start afresh and make up for the rather disappointing show in the final that they lost by 156 runs.
The Indian team for the two-match contest has undergone several changes, notable omissions being openers Swapnil Asnodkar and Robin Uthappa, both of whom failed to measure up in the one-day competition, and also wicket-keeper Dinesh Karthik who did not live up to the promise he had shown in recent times.
Also missing would be middle-order batsmen Subramaniam Badrinath and Rohit Sharma, leg-spinner Piyush Chawla and all-rounder Irfan Pathan, all of whom are in the Board President’s team that will be taking on the touring Australians in Hyderabad from Thursday.
Despite that, the Indian team appears strong enough although in recent times, there has been a lot of gap between promise and performance.
The Kiwis, who won only one game in the recent tri-series, have brought in fast bowler Iain O’Brien, who has played eight Tests and looking to regain his spot, in place of Mark Gillespie while 19-year-old left-arm paceman Trent Boult, still to make his first-class debut, has replaced spinner Jeetan Patel.
India A: Suresh Raina (captain), Jaydev Shah, M.Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Sahil Kukreja, Cheteshwar Pujara, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja, Wriddhiman Saha, Ashok Dinda, Dhawal Kulkarni, Sudeep Tyagi, Amit Mishra, Pradeep Sangwan and Mohnish Parmar.
New Zealand A: Peter Fulton (captain), Aaron Redmond, Martin Guptill, James Marshall, Neil Broom, Grant Elliott, Nathan McCullum, Reece Young, Bradley Scott, BJ Watling, Michael Mason, Brent Arnel, Greg Hey, Iain O’Brien and Trent Boult.
Umpires: K.Hariharan and Suresh Shastri
Match Referee: Sunil Chaturvedi
- Ishant dropped, Chawla in for ODI series against Proteas - Dec 21, 2010
- Sachin to play in Asia Cup, Sehwag rested (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- India elect to field against Ireland - Mar 06, 2011
- Uthappa in India squad for one-off Twenty20 in South Africa - Mar 07, 2012
- An Irish buzz on the eve of their match against India (Preview) - Mar 05, 2011
- Super Kings opt to field against Knight Riders - May 14, 2012
- Super Kings opt to bat against Knight Riders - Apr 30, 2012
- Seniors rested, Gambhir to lead ODI side against New Zealand - Nov 21, 2010
- Gambhir ruled out, Yusuf recalled in ODI squad - Feb 16, 2010
- Bowling key for India in World Twenty20 - Apr 28, 2010
- World Cup probables announced - Dec 18, 2010
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- England put India in to bat in third ODI - Sep 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka bat against India - Feb 21, 2012
- Jadeja putting pressure on Pathan: Akram - Oct 22, 2011