Champions League defeat a thing of past: Thomas MullerJune 8th, 2012 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
Lviv (Ukraine), June 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Ahead of his country’s Euro 2012 campaign, Germany’s attacking midfielder Thomas Muller said Friday he had banished the memory of the Champions League final defeat to Chelsea.
Muller was one of eight Bayern Munich players in the German side to taste last month’s bitter loss on penalties, which came after the 22-year-old had appeared to win it with a header seven minutes from time.
Didier Drogba equalised for the Londoners before sealing the trophy with the deciding penalty.
“Of course, with Bayern we have a season behind us that looked good up to a point,” Muller said, referring to his team also making the German Cup final, where they suffered another defeat, that time to league winners Borussia Dortmund.
Losing the Champions League final at their home stadium the Allianz Arena “doesn’t make you happy”, Muller said.
“But it doesn’t affect me now. This changes so quickly in football. That was two weeks ago,” he said.
The Germans join Spain as the chief favourites for the Euro 2012 title, but must first escape from the so-called group of death with Portugal, whom they face Saturday, the Netherlands and Denmark.
Muller has 32 goals in 106 appearances for Bayern, and 10 goals in 27 games for his country. He starred in all 10 of Germany’s qualification games.
- Germans jittery but fully fit for Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Japanese midfielder Kagawa to join Man United - Jun 05, 2012
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Olsen rues lost penalty as Denmark crash out - Jun 18, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany beat Danes to set up Greece quarterfinal - Jun 18, 2012
- Chelsea get tricky draw; Madrid, City in group of death - Aug 31, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Germans lacked killer instinct: Coach - Jun 18, 2012
- Denmark defeat was like a bad movie: Robben - Jun 10, 2012
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
- Ozil has raised his game at Real: Loew - Jun 08, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany can't let Italy dictate, says Loew - Jun 28, 2012
- Germany beats Portugal 1-0 in Euro 2012 - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: allianz, allianz arena, bayern, bitter loss, champions league, chelsea, denmark, euro 2012, favourites, german cup, german side, germans, league winners, londoners, lviv ukraine, netherlands, portugal, ria novosti, thomas muller, trophy