Challenger Trophy: Chance for fringe players to impress selectorsOctober 22nd, 2008 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Cuttack, Oct 22 (IANS) A host of fringe cricketers will look to impressing the national selectors when the N.K.P. Salve Challenger Trophy cricket gets underway at the Barabati Stadium here Thursday.In the first match, India blue led by Yuvraj Singh will face India Red, which is being skippered by Subramaniam Badrinath in the 50 overs day and night match. The third team India Green will be led by Mohammed Kaif. All the teams will play once with each other and the top two teams will qualify for the final slated for Sunday.
The tournament will be a good platform for rookies like Cheteshwar Pujara, Siddharth Trivedi and Wriddhiman Saha to breakthrough into the big league.
For players like Kaif, Irfan Pathan, Parthiv Patel, Dinesh Karthik and Robin Uthappa, it will be a big opportunity to comeback in the side for the seven-match one-day series against England starting Nov 14.
For middle-order batsman Subramaniam Badrinath and medium-pacer Rudra Pratap Singh, who are in the Test squad for the ongoing Australia series, the tournament will serve as a good match practice before the start of the third Test in Delhi Oct 29.
India Blue: Yuvraj Singh (captain), Ajinkya Rahane, Robin Uthappa, Virat Kohli, Ravinder Singh, Irfan Pathan, Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Yogesh Takawale (wicketkeeper), Ashok Dinda, Pradeep Sangwan, Chetanya Nanda, Arjun Yadav, Siddarth Trivedi and R. Ashwin.
India Red: Subramaniam Badrinath (captain), M. Vijay, F. Fazal, Manoj Tiwary, Rohit Sharma, Jaydev Shah, Abhishek Nayar, Wriddhiman Saha (wicketkeeper), Praveen Kumar, L. Balaji, Piyush Chawla, Vinay Kumar, Monish Parmar, Parthiv Patel (wicketkeeper)
India Green: Mohammad Kaif (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Naman Ojha (wicketkeeper), Suresh Raina, Cheteshwar Pujara, Saurabh Tiwary, Yusuf Pathan, Laxmi Ratan Shukla, Manpreet Gony, Rudra Pratap Singh, Pragyan Ojha, Rajat Bhatia, Abhinav Kumar and Pankaj Singh
Oct 23: India Blue vs. India Red
Oct 24: India Green vs. India Red
Oct 25: India Blue vs. India Green
Oct 26: Final.
- Harmeet Singh named in Rest of India squad (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Harmeet Singh picked up for Irani Cup - Sep 10, 2012
- Badrinath, Gambhir, Harbhajan to lead Challenger Trophy teams - Sep 29, 2011
- This is how the IPL teams will look - Jan 09, 2011
- Nehra awarded Grade B contract, Irfan demoted to Grade C - Nov 25, 2009
- World Cup probables announced - Dec 18, 2010
- BCCI announces 2011World Cup probables - Dec 18, 2010
- Irani Trophy: Sehwag to lead Rest of India - Sep 16, 2009
- World Cup: Selectors to pick 15-member Indian team Monday - Jan 14, 2011
- What the teams got on the first day of IPL-4 auction - Jan 08, 2011
- Yuvaraj to lead India Blue in Challengers Trophy - Oct 12, 2008
- Dravid, Irfan not among World Cup probables (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- Board's Grade A contract for Yuvraj, Ishant and Virat - Oct 29, 2011
- IPL-4 auction: Gambhir top grosser; No takers for Lara, Ganguly (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011