CBI inquiry into Assam clashesOctober 11th, 2008 - 10:15 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 11 (ANI): The Assam Government has decided to institute a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the latest communal clashes that led to the death of 55 persons and wounded over 100 people in Udalguri and Darrang districts in the state.
Addressing a press conference at Dispur on Saturday, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said the State Government would request the CBI to identify the forces behind the violence as early as possible.
Gogoi said the State Government would also conduct an inquiry and warned that anybody instigating violence will not be spared.
Around 2,500 houses were damaged in 54 villages in both the districts in the clashes.
Stating that the situation was brought under control within 72 hours, Gogoi said that about two lakh affected people are still taking shelter in relief camps.
He has asked the district authorities to draw an action plan to provide security to the people so that they can return home.
Meanwhile, there has been no report of fresh violence in the past five days in both districts.
The district authorities have relaxed curfew for eight hours during the day following improvement in the law and order situation.
Over 51 people have been killed in clashes between the tribal Bodo community and migrant Muslims in violence-hit Udalguri and Darrang Districts of Assam. (ANI0
- Situation has improved in Assam: Gogoi - Aug 01, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- PM speaks to Assam CM, directs him to monitor situation - Jul 24, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 4,000 troopers rushed to violence-hit Assam, PM speaks to Gogoi (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Gogoi blames centre for army's delayed arrival - Jul 27, 2012
- Gogoi seeks media help to restore peace - Aug 23, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Army moves to seize illegal arms in Kokrajhar - Sep 01, 2012
- More paramilitary forces readied for Assam - Jul 28, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Prevent flare-ups in the future: Assam CM to district administration - Oct 11, 2008
Tags: assam government, bodo, cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, communal clashes, dispur, district authorities, eight hours, gogoi, lakh, law and order, muslims, oct 11, relief camps, state government, tarun, violence