Cautious openers give West Indies a good start (Lunch Report)November 22nd, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 22 (IANS) The West Indies were off to a good start as they reached 80 for no loss in their first innings at lunch on the first day of the third and final cricket Test against India at the Wankhede Stadium here Tuesday.
Opening batsman Adrian Barath was batting on 37 (76 balls, 6×4) and his partner Kraigg Brathwaite was on 35 (105 balls, 4×4) after the first session’s play. The openers were watchful in their approach after West Indies captain Darren Sammy won the toss and decided to bat on a surface that had some assistance for the medium pacers.
It was one of the best starts by the openers in the series and it was also the third half-century opening stand for the West Indies team in the year.
Indian pacers Ishant Sharma and debutant Varun Aaron, who replaced Umesh Yadav, could purchase little sideways movement from the track and the ball was changed in the fourth over after it went out of shape.
India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni introduced spin as early as in the ninth over with left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha. But the West Indies batsmen were cautious and played defensively.
The West Indies are without their most experienced batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul, who has been ruled out with a calf muscle injury. India are leading the three-match series 2-0 and are eyeing a clean sweep at the Wankhede.
- Ashwin strikes to remove West Indies openers (Tea Report) - Nov 22, 2011
- Top-four hit 50s as West Indies reach 267/2 (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- West Indies opt to bat against India - Nov 22, 2011
- West Indies 80 for no loss at lunch - Nov 22, 2011
- India opt to bat against West Indies in Eden Test - Nov 14, 2011
- West Indies opt to bat; Yadav, Ashwin to debut - Nov 06, 2011
- West Indies battling to save match, series - Nov 16, 2011
- West Indies arrive for series against India - Nov 03, 2011
- India aiming for a clean sweep of West Indies - Nov 21, 2011
- India look for series win and Tendulkar's 100th ton at Eden (Preview) - Nov 13, 2011
- Chanderpaul, Brathwaite pull West Indies out of trouble (Roundup) - Nov 06, 2011
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- Lively Sabina Park track a test for injury-plagued India against Windies - Jun 19, 2011
- Brathwaite will be back, says Sammy - Apr 30, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: balls, barath, calf muscle injury, chanderpaul, clean sweep, cricket test, debutant, India, left arm, lunch report, mahendra singh dhoni, match, ojha, pacers, sammy, shape, varun, wankhede stadium, west indies team, yadav