Caterham pair disappoint in Silverstone qualifyingJuly 7th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Silverstone (England), July 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Caterham Formula One team experienced huge disappointment at the British Grand Prix Saturday as both drivers failed to make it past the first qualification session.
Vitaly Petrov and Heikki Kovalainen posted the 19th-and 20th-fastest times, in a session where Caterham had hoped a revamped car would give them an extra half-second of pace.
But the dreadful weather conditions, with rain on one part of the Silverstone circuit and other parts untouched, ended up mitigating any advantage the car’s new bodywork and exhaust might have offered.
“Today the conditions weren’t fantastic,” Petrov said in televised comments. “It was very difficult to drive. You don’t know how much you can push.”
But Petrov outqualified his teammate for only the second time this season.
“This is the priority,” he said. “First of all I must beat my teammate.”
McLaren’s Jensen Button was a surprise loser in the first session, finishing one place ahead of Petrov.
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- We must gain ground on rivals, says Petrov - Jun 29, 2012
- Maldonado tops second practice at wet Hockenheim - Jul 20, 2012
- Webber natches British Grand Prix win from Alonso - Jul 08, 2012
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- Hamilton glides to Monza victory - Sep 09, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Petrov's F1 career in danger - Aug 31, 2012
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Caterham sign Petrov for 2012 F1 season - Feb 17, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
- Petrov looking at three teams for 2013 - Jul 28, 2012
- Moscow Raceway lacks zing: Petrov - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: bodywork, british grand prix, disappointment, formula one, heikki kovalainen, jensen button, loser, pace, priority, rain, ria novosti, second time, silverstone circuit, silverstone england, surprise, teammate, vd, vitaly petrov, weather conditions