Catalans march in Barcelona to advocate support for MadridSeptember 12th, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Madrid, Sept 12, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Thousands of Catalans thronged the streets of Barcelona to in an unprecedented show of unity to advocate for autonomy from Madrid. The march was informed by the fact that they believe Spain’s economic woes is responsible for dragging them behind.
The march was particularly meant to send a message that they wanted to be independent from Spain owing to the recent economic woes that Spain has been experiencing. The fever of separation among the Catalonians has been stoked by the increased cases of unemployment and financial disarray that has been slowly sucking the wealth of Catalonians.
The marching crowd had in their possession the Catalan flag and passionately sang the Catalan national anthem. The flags the crowds were carrying are believed to be among the oldest flags still in use in Europe. The crowd which was estimated to be 600,000 strong is believed to have sent the message to the central government according to the locals.
In fact, the police said that the crowd seems to have been 1.5 million strong. Individuals who took part in the march said that the sheer magnitude and size of the crowd would serve to send a message to Madrid. The marchers are said to have carried banners that indicated “Catalonia-the new European state”.
- Spanish PM says he's focused on euro, Spain's interests - Sep 03, 2012
- End of an era for bull-fighting in Spain's Catalonia - Sep 26, 2011
- Spain's Catalonia approves bullfight ban - Jul 29, 2010
- Spanish media full of praise for Del Bosque's heroes - Jul 08, 2010
- Tensions rise in Madrid ahead of Copa del Rey final - May 25, 2012
- Krishna to seek further ties with Spain - Apr 17, 2012
- Hundreds of thousands welcome pope in Madrid - Aug 19, 2011
- 15 arrested in anti-austerity protests in Spain - Jul 21, 2012
- Fans hope that Barca will increase offer for Fabregas - Jun 03, 2010
- Spring moulds found in Spain may aid search for water on Mars - Apr 05, 2011
- Where exactly did Columbus set sail from? - Apr 06, 2010
- More Spanish kids want to be professional footballers - Feb 16, 2012
- Money not the root of my sadness: Ronaldo - Sep 05, 2012
- Portuguese player Sabrosa joins Espanyol - Aug 18, 2012
- Yuvraj steals the thunder from defiant Ireland (Diary) - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: 5 million, autonomy, barcelona, catalan flag, catalans, central government, crowd, crowds, economic woes, fever, financial disarray, flags, locals, madrid madrid, national anthem, possession, sheer magnitude, spain, unemployment, unity