Castrol ranking: Karthikeyan best among Indian driversJanuary 15th, 2010 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 15 (IANS) Narain Karthikeyan, the first and the only Indian to have raced in Formula One, is ranked 126 in the Castrol Rankings for 2009.
The rankings are motor sport’s first-ever definitive system to determine the position of motor sports drivers internationally.
The 35-year old Karthikeyan is the highest ranked among Indian drivers, ahead of GP2 racer Karun Chandhok (201), Formula 2 pilot Armaan Ebrahim (424) and National Rally champion Gaurav Gill (1,311) who also participated in the World Rally Championship (production class) besides the Asia Pacific Rally Championship for Team MRF.
The 2009 Formula One champion Jenson Button tops, ahead of Sebastian Vettel and World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb, according to the raknings launched Thurdsay in Birmingham.
Each driver is given a score depending on his qualifying position and race results from each event that counts towards the Castrol Rankings.
Former F1 driver David Coulthard, who launched the rankings, reckons that it will show who does the best job in 2010. The important thing with the ranking system is that it rewards finishing and consistency.
- Bumpy ride for Karthikeyan and Chandhok - Oct 23, 2011
- Chandhok, Gill shone in motorsports (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 26, 2010
- French driver Sebastian Loeb wins Acropolis Rally - May 28, 2012
- i1Super Series drivers to be unveiled Monday - Dec 19, 2011
- F1 caricature book released - Oct 21, 2011
- Vettel gets away with his idiot remark and obscene gesture - Mar 30, 2012
- Formula One legends embrace i1Super Series - Dec 20, 2011
- For Karthikeyan, R-Day honour is a birthday gift - Jan 25, 2010
- Chandhok eyeing test driver's spot in F1 - Jan 28, 2011
- From pastime to Formula One: 107 years of India's motorsports - Oct 22, 2011
- India racing drivers struggling to make a mark (Motorsport Yearender) - Dec 22, 2009
- Loeb wins Rally of New Zealand - Jun 24, 2012
- I1-Super Series: Dhoni and Yuvraj in race to own franchise - Nov 15, 2011
- Karthikeyan returns to Formula One - Jan 06, 2011
- Filipe Albuquerque Wins Race Of Champions Title - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: 311, asia pacific, castrol, consistency, david coulthard, definitive system, driver david coulthard, f1 driver, formula one, jenson button, motor sport, motor sports, narain karthikeyan, national rally, pilot, rally championship, sebastian vettel, sebastien loeb, world rally champion, world rally championship