Caster Semenya wins comeback race in FinlandJuly 16th, 2010 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Lappeenranta (Finland), July 16(ANI): South African 800 metres world champion Caster Semenya has won her first race since being cleared to return to competition after underdoing gender tests.
Semenya won the 800 meters in a modest time of two minutes, 04.22 seconds on Thursday at the Lappeenranta Games in Finland.
It may have been nearly nine seconds slower than her triumph at the World Championships in Berlin last summer, but having hardly trained in recent months, it was at the upper end of her and her coach’s expectations.
“The performance was pretty good because after sitting at home for 11 months, to come back and run 2.04 is not easy, especially after what happened to me. So, yes, I’m pretty happy with it,” The Telegraph quoted Semenya, as saying.
“I wasn’t expecting to run 2.04, though my coach told me were going for 2.03 or 2.04. It’s good. Even in South Africa, I used to run 2.03 or 2.04, so it’s a good start,” she added.
The 19-year-old was authorized to resume competing on July 6 after a review of gender-verification tests by global governing body the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
She is due to race in two or three further events in Europe before deciding whether to compete at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games in October. (ANI)
- Semenya skips African Athletics Championships, to focus on CWG - Jul 12, 2010
- Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m final - Aug 10, 2012
- Rivals 'stared and laughed at' Proteas' Semenya, claims UK athlete - Jul 23, 2010
- Caster Semenya to take part in Commonwealth Games - Aug 23, 2010
- Caster Semenya plans to make 1,500m bid in 2012 Olympics - Feb 22, 2011
- After World Cup, runner Semenya is South Africa's hope - Jul 12, 2010
- S. African gender row runner Semenya set to race against women - Jul 06, 2010
- Back injury forces world champ Semenya to pull out of Delhi Commonwealth Games - Sep 29, 2010
- Caster Semenya Cleared to Compete After Gender Confirmed - Jul 07, 2010
- Caster Semenya planning a return to the track - Jan 15, 2010
- Kenya's Jepkosgei eyes another Olympic medal in London - May 04, 2012
- Semenya's gender tested unknown to her: mother - Sep 13, 2009
- 'It's like racing a man', says Semenya's Brit rival after Berlin race - Aug 23, 2010
- Amputee Pistorius, Semenya to compete in World Athletics - Aug 08, 2011
- Caster Semenya a woman? Prove it - Aug 20, 2009
Tags: 19 year old, berlin, caster, coach, commonwealth games, europe, governing body, international association of athletics federations, lappeenranta finland, New Delhi, south africa, triumph, two minutes, verification tests, world champion, world championships