Caster Semenya plans to make 1,500m bid in 2012 OlympicsFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 2:02 pm ICT by ANI
Pretoria, Feb 22 (ANI): World 800 metre champion Caster Semenya has said she is planning to of participate in the 1,500 metres race at next year’s London Olympics.
“It is part of my preparation for my first Olympics. I’m looking forward to it and the plan is to include the 1,500 metres at the Olympics,” The Daily Express quoted Semenya, as saying.
The 20-year-old runner began her season over the weekend by winning the 800 metre race in Potchefstroom, South Africa.
Semenya ran for a total of 2minuites 04.12 seconds to finish ahead of national champion Mapaseka Makhanya.
In 2009, Semenya, a middle-distance runner, won gold in the women’s 800-metre World Championships with a turn of 1:55: 45.
However, following her victory, questions were raised about her physical condition. Suggestions were in the air that she had an unfair advantage over other female racers.
In protest, the South African Olympic Committee withdrew Semenya from all competitions until July 6, 2010, when the International Atheletics Federation (IAAF) cleared her return to competitions. (ANI)
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Savinova wins gold in women's 800 metres - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Tintu Luka fails to qualify for 800m final - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Algerian runner excluded for not trying - Aug 07, 2012
- Rivals 'stared and laughed at' Proteas' Semenya, claims UK athlete - Jul 23, 2010
- Kenya's Jepkosgei eyes another Olympic medal in London - May 04, 2012
- After World Cup, runner Semenya is South Africa's hope - Jul 12, 2010
- Kenya's David Rudisha sets 800 m world record - Aug 23, 2010
- Semenya's gender tested unknown to her: mother - Sep 13, 2009
- Caster Semenya to take part in Commonwealth Games - Aug 23, 2010
- Olympics: Tintu Luka finishes sixth in 800m semis (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Injured Semenya withdraws from CWG - Sep 29, 2010
- Caster Semenya wins comeback race in Finland - Jul 16, 2010
- Kenya's runner Jelimo blames tactics for poor show in London - Aug 16, 2012
- Back injury forces world champ Semenya to pull out of Delhi Commonwealth Games - Sep 29, 2010
- Semenya skips African Athletics Championships, to focus on CWG - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: 2012 olympics, 500m, atheletics, caster, competitions, daily express, female racers, first olympics, iaaf, london olympics, metre champion, metre race, middle distance, national champion, olympic committee, olympics, potchefstroom south africa, pretoria, unfair advantage, world championships