CA’s contract system should be overhauled: HohnsAugust 13th, 2011 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Aug 13 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) former chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns has joined the chorus with his successor Andrew Hilditch for restructuring the contract system to a more performance-based system that better reflects the importance of Test cricket.
Hohns, whose tenure as chairman of selectors coincided with Australia’s domination, said CA should hand out fewer national contracts than the 25. The CA is obliged to give 25 contracts under its deal with the players’ union.
“We had plenty of depth then, but I’m not sure that 25 is the right number. I must admit I was always saying that (as chairman), but that was the deal, that was done, and we had to work with it,” Hons said.
“To have 25 seems a lot to me, and I think the players’ association and CA need to be a bit flexible on this, we’re going through different times and I think it does need a little bit of tweaking,” Hohns, who returned to cricket as Queensland’s selection chairman, was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.
The selection of uncapped Nathan Lyon, Michael Beer and Trent Copeland, from outside the contract list for the Test tour of Sri Lanka, prompted Hilditch to say that the present system should be changed.
Hohns said: “Where we go with it I don’t know. You and I aren’t going to change that, it’s more a matter for CA and the players’ association, I believe. There are several lines of thought: whether it should be more incentive-based for those that play get the pay, or whether Twenty20 cricket should have separate contracts, there’s several lines of thought, and I’m sure they’re going over all of those.”
- Former Australia selectors' chief Hohns makes a comeback - Aug 08, 2011
- Cricket Australia to cut down on number of central contracts - Feb 24, 2012
- CA makes sweeping changes, sacks Hilditch and Chappell from selection panel - Aug 19, 2011
- Trevor Hohns also willing to replace Hilditch - Aug 20, 2011
- Warne's choices for Australia's chairman of selectors - Oct 20, 2011
- Australian cricketers want changes in contract system - Jul 28, 2011
- ACA endorses Katich's stand on part-time selectors - Jun 22, 2011
- Hilditch backs review panel recommendations - Aug 19, 2011
- Will Rod Marsh replace Hilditch? - Jul 10, 2011
- Time to drop 'overburdened' Watson down the batting order in Tests, says ex-selector - Jan 27, 2011
- Rod Marsh eyes Hilditch job on selection panel - Aug 20, 2011
- Clarke not averse to recalling Katich in Australian team - Dec 16, 2011
- Sack Ponting and Hilditch: John Benaud - Mar 17, 2011
- Katich slams CA, denies Clarke's hand in sacking - Jun 10, 2011
- Clarke wants Australian cricket to provide united front ahead of upcoming matches - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: contract system, copeland, cricket australia, different times, domination, hilditch, little bit, lyon, melbourne, michael beer, national contracts, present system, queensland, selectors, sri lanka, tenure, test cricket, trevor hohns, tweaking