CAS clears Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon to participate in Delhi CWGSeptember 15th, 2010 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Sept 15 (ANI): Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon has been cleared to compete at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), after being suspended for using a wrongly labelled asthma inhaler.
The CAS changed the dates of Napoleon’s three-month ban, imposed by governing body FINA, from June 15 to September 14 (Tuesday).
Swimming Australia (SA) will reportedly formalise his return to the team today.
“This is great news for Ryan and the Australian swim team as a whole as we finalise preparations for Delhi. At only 20 years of age, Ryan has handled himself extremely well during this whole process and he will now focus on getting back into the pool and into his training,’ The Telegraph quoted a SA spokesman, as saying.
Napoleon has been qualified to swim the 400 meters and 1,500 meters freestyle at the October 3-14 Games.
The International Swimming Federation originally slapped Napoleon with a three-month suspension from August 20, which ruled him out of the Games. He failed a drug test after using an asthma medication that was mislabelled by his pharmacist.
Although the FINA anti-doping panel accepted that he did not intend to cheat, it held him partly responsible for the error because he did not check the medication.
The young swimmer decided to appeal after he was informed that he would not only be allowed to compete but also will lack permission to be trained with his normal squad during the period of the ban. (ANI)
- Oz swimmer Napoleon banned from Delhi Commonwealth Games - Aug 26, 2010
- Australian swimmer banned from Commonwealth Games - Aug 26, 2010
- Oz swimmer Ryan Napoleon desperate to compete at Commonwealth Games - Sep 27, 2010
- Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in Olympics - Jun 09, 2012
- Troubled waters: Delhi belly too much for Hurley to stomach - Oct 05, 2010
- 'Delhi belly' bug hits Oz swimming stars Hurley and Napoleon - Oct 04, 2010
- Federation to make a case for dope-tainted swimmers - Sep 08, 2010
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than before - Mar 30, 2011
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Brazilian swimmer banned for two years - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympics: South Korea's Park reinstated for final after disqualified (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012
- Open Water Swimmer Fran Crippen Passes Away - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: arbitration, asthma, asthma inhaler, asthma medication, australian swim team, australian swimmer, commonwealth games, court of arbitration for sport, cwg, drug test, fina, governing body, great news, international swimming federation, medication, napoleon, pharmacist, spokesman, telegraph, young swimmer