Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012May 30th, 2012 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 30 (IANS) England officially finalised the 23-man squad for the European Championship here Tuesday with Liverpool’s out-of-form centre-forward Andy Carroll given the iconic leading striker’s number nine shirt.
Only two changes were made by manager Roy Hodgson from his announced provisional squad May 16.
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry will miss the tournament thanks to a muscle tear in his lower abdomen and has been replaced by Everton defender Phil Jagielka, reported Xinhua.
Goalkeeper John Ruddy of Norwich City had been forced to quit because of a finger injury last week and replaced by Birmingham City ’s Jack Butland.
Danny Welbeck and Glen Johnson, who had a injury scare, were both retained in the squad.
Carroll, who started in England’s 1-0 warm-up victory over Norway May 26, got a more clear hint that he might be the first choice striker for England’s first two group matches (against France and Sweden) after he was confirmed to wear the number nine shirt.
Wayne Rooney is under a two-match ban and will only be eligible in the third group match against the co-hosts Ukraine.
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham), Jack Butland (Birmingham City)
Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Leighton Baines (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton)
Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Manchester United)
Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham).
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squad - Aug 29, 2011
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Rooney to play against Ukraine, says coach - Jun 16, 2012
- Rooney won't play Euro 2012, Olympics: FA - Apr 22, 2012
- Capello delighted about Rooney's current form - Sep 03, 2010
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Everton fans likely to give Man U's Rooney a roasting for sexcapade - Sep 09, 2010
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Sunderland striker Bent recalled to England squad - Nov 09, 2009
- Manchester City goalkeeper in England squad - May 12, 2008
- Gerrard compares debutant Oxlade-Chamberlain with Rooney - Jun 12, 2012
- Fergie close to signing Everton whizkid Rodwell - Mar 12, 2011
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: ashley cole, finger injury, frank lampard, gareth barry, gary cahill, gerrard liverpool, james milner, jermain defoe, joe hart, lampard chelsea, leighton baines, lower abdomen, muscle tear, norwich city, phil jagielka, roy hodgson, steven gerrard, stewart downing, theo walcott arsenal, wayne rooney manchester united