Caroline Kennedy wants Clinton’s Senate seatDecember 16th, 2008 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 16 (DPA) The daughter of assassinated president John F. Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy, has expressed interest in taking the New York Senate seat that will be vacated by Hillary Clinton.New York Senator Chuck Schumer said he had spoken with Kennedy and confirmed widespread reports that she wanted to replace Clinton, who is leaving to become secretary of state for president-elect Barack Obama.
“She’s clearly interested,” Schumer said at a press conference with New York Governor David Paterson, who holds the power to appoint a new senator.
Kennedy, 51, has mostly kept a low profile over the decades but stepped into the political spotlight by endorsing Obama for president early in the Democratic primaries. She addressed the Democratic National Convention in August.
Schumer said there are about a dozen potential appointees reported to be interested in taking the replacement appointment. The New York Times reported Monday that Kennedy intends to ask Paterson to appoint her to the job.
If successful, she will hold the seat once occupied by her uncle, Robert Kennedy. John F. Kennedy was gunned down in Dallas, Texas on Nov 22, 1963. Robert Kennedy was killed by a gunman while campaigning for the presidency on June 5, 1968, in Los Angeles.
- Family will have to convince Caroline Kennedy to bid for Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- 20-1 odds against Caroline Kennedy getting Hillary Clintons NY Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- Democratic favouritism outlines Trump political donation history - Apr 27, 2011
- Caroline Kennedy interested in Hillary Clinton''s Senate seat - Dec 06, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy opts out of New York Senate race - Jan 22, 2009
- Caroline Kennedy hires key Democrat fixer to soothe critics - Dec 16, 2008
- Ackerman says Caroline Kennedy no more qualified than JLo to be New York Senator - Dec 11, 2008
- Assembly Speaker Silver says he will support Caroline Kennedy if shes appointed to the Senate - Jan 02, 2009
- Robert Kennedy's assassin denied parole for 13th time - Mar 03, 2011
- Uncle Teddy wants Caroline to carry forward the Kennedy legacy - Dec 22, 2008
- Robert Kennedy Jr. 'files for divorce from wife of 16 years' - Jul 14, 2010
- Caroline Kennedy to bid for Hillary Clintons Senate seat - Dec 16, 2008
- Guv Paterson puts caution flag on Kennedys Senate seat front-runner tag - Dec 25, 2008
- Clinton won't stay on even if Obama gets second term - Mar 17, 2011
- Ted Kennedy dies of brain cancer aged 77 (Part-I) - Aug 26, 2009