Capriati’s family spokesperson denies ‘overdose’ was ’suicide attempt’June 30th, 2010 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
Florida, June 30(ANI): Former US tennis star Jennifer Capriati’s family spokesperson has denied reports that her drug overdose was a case of a suicide attempt after becoming depressed over her failed career.
Lacey Wickline called the reports “completely inaccurate”, and said that Capriati is “recovering fully and stably”.
She further described it “an accidental overdose of medication prescribed to Jen by her personal physician”.
“In response to an outpouring of concern and support shown by Jennifer’s fans and friends worldwide, we would like to acknowledge that Jen is recuperating at a South Florida hospital,” The Daily Mail quoted Wickline, as saying.
The 34-year-old was found in a ‘dazed’ state in her Riviera Beach condo on Sunday, and was said to have swallowed a handful of pills in an attempt to end her life.
Earlier, Capriati’s friend and former US tennis star Justin Gimelstob had said that she had struggled to cope with depression.
“With the heightened focus with Wimbledon and tennis being on everyone’s radar, that makes her feel even worse. She feels like the tennis world has deserted her,” Gimelstob had said.
“She’s in tremendous pain physically and mentally. She struggled with depression, and it’s a tough story. Jennifer’s been through so much. You can never tell the collateral damage that being a child prodigy has on you,” he added.
Capriati, a former world no.1, had won 14 professional singles titles and 1 doubles title before injuries ended her career in 2005. (ANI)
- Capriati's ex-boyfriend says his return to porn compounded her depression - Jun 30, 2010
- Jennifer Capriati hospitalized for possible 'drug' overdose - Jun 28, 2010
- Former Tennis Star Jennifer Capriati Admitted To Medical Facility For Suspected Drug Overdose - Jun 28, 2010
- Is Aniston friends with Jolie? - Feb 29, 2012
- Aniston, Cox no longer friends? - Mar 10, 2012
- Lopez, Smart on verge of break up? - Aug 05, 2012
- When Aniston received letter from Jolie - Sep 24, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston 'planning to have baby this year' - Jan 18, 2011
- Pakistani daily pays tribute to child prodigy who died - Jan 16, 2012
- Aniston wants to remake 'The Graduate' with Pattinson - Nov 25, 2010
- Ex-tennis great Seles sells young adult novel series to Bloomsbury - Jan 07, 2011
- Lopez couldn't bond with twins - May 08, 2012
- Aniston invites ex-boyfriends to party - Dec 09, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston to appear in reality TV show? - Nov 10, 2010
- Wozniacki hires Ricardo Sanchez as full-time coach - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: accidental overdose, beach condo, child prodigy, collateral damage, daily mail, dazed state, florida hospital, friends worldwide, jennifer capriati, justin gimelstob, outpouring, personal physician, professional singles, riviera beach, star jennifer, suicide attempt, tennis star, tennis world, tremendous pain, wickline