Capello to continue as England managerJuly 3rd, 2010 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 3(ANI): Fabio Capello will continue as England manager despite the Three Lions’ disappointing Round of 16 exit from the World Cup.
England was knocked out of the tournament in South Africa following a 4-1 loss to Germany, but the Football Association (FA) said that it had unanimously agreed that Capello deserved to keep his job.
According to reports, the Club England board, chaired by Sir Dave Richards, pushed ahead with the decision to back Capello. He also had the support of FA General Secretary Alex Horne and Club England Managing Director Adrian Bevington.
“The Club England board considered all aspects of England’s performance and operations at the FIFA World Cup, and it was unanimously agreed that Fabio is the best man to continue managing the England team,” The Telegraph quoted a FA statement, as saying.
The Club England Chairman, Richards, said that they had confidence in Capello’s potential, and believes that World Cup experience will undoubtedly make him stronger for the Euro 2012 campaign.
“We are all still extremely disappointed at our performance in South Africa, and we believed it was important that we took some time to reflect on everything in a calm and considered manner back in England,” Richards said.
“After fully discussing our performance we remain convinced that Fabio is the best man for the job. He went into the World Cup with a reputation as one of World football’s finest managers and we are confident that Fabio will benefit from his first international tournament experience,” he added. (ANI)
- Capello defers plans to rate England players as part of an online business venture - May 12, 2010
- 'Retained' Capello 'more determined' to succeed with England team - Jul 03, 2010
- Top FA board member wants Capello to stay on as England manager - Jun 30, 2010
- Capello 'confident' of Russia's 2014 chances - Jul 18, 2012
- Capello wants to stay on as England manager - Jun 28, 2010
- Capello asked to improve his English - Aug 22, 2010
- Capello agrees to add another English coach to backroom staff - Jul 16, 2010
- Capello must wait to know his future - Jun 28, 2010
- 'Capello is a tough coach' - Jul 08, 2012
- Capello resigns as England manager - Feb 09, 2012
- Capello in dark about appointment of new England football coach - Jan 16, 2011
- Capello signs for Russia - Jul 26, 2012
- I was 'pissed off' after England exit: Capello - Jul 26, 2012
- Van Gaal open to coaching a club - Nov 03, 2011
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
Tags: best man, bevington, cup experience, dave richards, england board, england manager, england team, euro 2012, fabio capello, fifa world cup, football association, general secretary, managing director, reputation, south africa, telegraph, three lions, tournament experience, world cup england, world football