Capello sends team doctor to check fitness of England playersMay 5th, 2010 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) England coach Fabio Capello has sent team doctor Ian Beasley to all training grounds of several Premier League clubs this week to make a final check on the fitness of players before the Italian names his provisional 30-man squad for the World Cup next Tuesday.
The Times, London, reported that Beasly will tour Carrington, Manchester United’s training HQ, where he will ask for updates from the club’s medical staff on Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Wes Brown, Gary Neville and Owen Hargreaves.
Although only the first two are “definites”, Capello would like to have Brown’s versatility at his disposal in South Africa, the very quality that still gives Hargreaves, who made his first appearance for United in 18 months Sunday, a faint chance of making the training squad.
Beasley is also expected to visit Liverpool to check on Glen Johnson, Tottenham, where he will ask for feedback on Aaron Lennon, Tom Huddlestone and Ledley King, before taking a final look at Fulham’s Bobby Zamora who has been struggling with an Achilles injury for the past month.
David James, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Aaron Lennon, Jermain Defoe and, potentially, Bobby Zamora, the striker who has been essential to Fulham’s European exploits, will also be assessed.
Those 30 players will participate in a pre-tournament training camp that encompasses friendly matches against Mexico at Wembley May 24 and Japan in Graz, Austria, six days later, before Capello trims the squad to 23, June 1.
- Tottenham stars can win World Cup for England - May 07, 2010
- Capello Index was published without my knowledge, says Capello - Jul 18, 2010
- England name squads for two remaining World Cup qualifiers - Oct 05, 2009
- Sunderland striker Bent recalled to England squad - Nov 09, 2009
- England team's 'booze and cigar' bender following ignominious World Cup exit - Jun 30, 2010
- Trio of injury worries for England - Jun 24, 2010
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Three key decisions that Capello has to make - May 31, 2010
- England's Lions seek to devour past demons against Germany - Jun 26, 2010
- Gerrard admits to having had thoughts of quitting after 2010 World Cup - Aug 11, 2010
- England struck with World Cup flops for another two years, fears Neville - Jul 05, 2010
- England through, but dramatic US win sends them on top (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Ledley King retires from football - Jul 19, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Capello urges Wayne Bridge to reconsider his decision to quit - Feb 26, 2010
Tags: aaron lennon, achilles injury, ashley cole, bobby zamora, coach fabio capello, england coach, faint chance, gary neville, glen johnson, graz austria, italian names, jermain defoe, ledley king, owen hargreaves, premier league clubs, rio ferdinand, steven gerrard, tom huddlestone, wayne rooney, wes brown