Capello on a collision course with FA on TerryFebruary 6th, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 6 (IANS) Italian Fabio Capello’s future as the England manager is doubtful after he criticised Football Association (FA) decision to strip Chelsea defender John Terry of national team captaincy.
Capello told Italian television ‘Rai’ that he disagreed with the removal of Terry as skipper, as the Chelsea defender awaits trial on a charge of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand during a Premier League fixture in October.
“I spoke with the FA chairman and I told him that I don’t think someone can be punished until it becomes official,” Capello told the Italian state broadcaster Rai.
“The court will decide. It’s going to be civil justice, not sports justice, to decide if John Terry committed that crime that he is accused of. And I thought it fair that John Terry keeps the captain’s armband.”
Terry pleaded not guilty to the charges at a hearing last week and his trial was set for July 9, eight days after the end of Euro 2012.
Capello received the news of Terry’s removal via phone Friday from FA’s chairman David Bernstein, who said that the board took the decision due to “the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament”.
The Italian is due to meet Bernstein and other FA officials at Wembley. Capello’s contract expires in July and he has made it clear that he would be quitting his post after the Euro Championship.
- Capello resigns as England manager - Feb 09, 2012
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- Capello resigns, Stuart checks in as caretaker England boss - Feb 09, 2012
- FA likely to sack Terry as England captain - Feb 03, 2012
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
- Rio Ferdinand wishes new England captain Terry all the best - Mar 22, 2011
- Roy Hodgson to take over as England soccer manager - May 02, 2012
- Capello offers Ferdinand muddled apology for captaincy chaos - Mar 26, 2011
- England team right behind Terry: Crouch - Mar 24, 2011
- Capello wants John Terry back as England captain - Mar 13, 2011
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- Ferdinand to play on for England despite Capello's captaincy snub - Mar 22, 2011
- Capello reinstates Terry as permanent England captain - Mar 20, 2011
- I need to make a permanent decision on England captaincy: Capello - Mar 16, 2011
- I was 'pissed off' after England exit: Capello - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: anton ferdinand, chairman david, civil justice, collision course, david bernstein, england manager, euro 2012, euro championship, fa officials, fabio capello, football association, italian state, italian television, john terry, league fixture, london feb, profile nature, queens park, queens park rangers, state broadcaster