Capello leaves out Rio, Crouch from England squadAugust 29th, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 29 (IANS) England manager Fabio Capello is not convinced about the fitness of Rio Ferdinand and has left out the Manchester United defender from the squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.
Rio was on the Manchester United bench against Arsenal Sunday after recovering from a hamstring problem, but Capello chose to give the defender a glimpse into the future by handing new United star Phil Jones his first international call-up.
Jones, who starred in the 8-2 win against Arsenal, was also in the squad for the postponed friendly against Holland.
Jones’ United team-mates Chris Smalling, Tom Cleverley, Ashley Young and Wayne Rooney are also included but Danny Welbeck, who opened the scoring in the 8-2 thrashing at Old Trafford, was left out after he suffered a hamstring injury in the match. Welbeck was replaced by Tottenham’s Jermain Defoe.
Spurs striker Peter Crouch’s England future looks bleak as he was left out but Arsenal winger Tho Walcott was recalled despite criticising Capello’s management style.
England play Bulgaria in Sofia Friday and host Wales next week.
The squad: Hart (Man City), Green (West Ham), Stockdale (Fulham - on loan at Ipswich Town); A Cole (Chelsea), Cahill (Bolton), Terry (Chelsea), Baines (Everton). Jagielka (Everton), Smalling (Man Utd), Jones (Man Utd), Richards (Man City), Lescott (Man City); Downing (Liverpool), Barry (Man City), Johnson (Man City), Milner (Man City), Lampard (Chelsea), Cleverley (Man Utd), A Young (Man Utd), Parker (West Ham), Walcott (Arsenal); Bent, left (Aston Villa), Carroll (Liverpool), Rooney (Man Utd), Defoe (Spurs)
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Rooney kept out of England squad for Spain, Sweden friendlies - Nov 07, 2011
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Rooney won't play Euro 2012, Olympics: FA - Apr 22, 2012
- Sunderland striker Bent recalled to England squad - Nov 09, 2009
- Manchester City goalkeeper in England squad - May 12, 2008
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Walcott to miss England's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine - Sep 10, 2012
- Defoe scores hat-trick as England beat Bulgaria 4-0 - Sep 04, 2010
- England's Walcott doubtful for Ukraine match - Jun 18, 2012
- Fulham's Bullard earns maiden England call - Sep 01, 2008
- Capello sends team doctor to check fitness of England players - May 05, 2010
- Welbeck on wonder goal: I knew it was coming - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Lampard, Terry out of England's Euro 2012 qualifiers - Aug 29, 2010
Tags: barry man, cleverley, england manager, england squad, euro 2012, fabio capello, international call, jagielka, jermain defoe, man city, man utd, old trafford, parker west, peter crouch, rio ferdinand, team mates, united team, walcott, wayne rooney, welbeck