Capello ‘confident’ of Russia’s 2014 chancesJuly 18th, 2012 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Fabio Capello, expected to be unveiled as Russia coach in the coming days, has revealed he is confident in his ability to guide the country to the 2014 World Cup.
“I am very excited,” he was quoted as saying Tuesday. “We can do a lot and we have much to do. For me it is a great challenge and, of course, the main goal is to qualify for the World Cup,” he said.
Russia will get through a “very tough” group in the qualification tournament, drawn in Group F with Portugal, Israel, Northern Ireland, Norway, Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, he said.
“Two of us will qualify, but, like in all the qualification stages, it will be very, very hard. But I am confident that we will qualify,” Capello said.
Capello said negotiations were not all plain sailing, and that some within the Russian Football Union had pushed for a native manager.
“Some preferred a Russian coach, but the president opted for my project,” said Capello, referring to union chief Nikita Simonyan.
If confirmed, Capello’s first game in charge would be August 15 friendly against the Ivory Coast in Moscow.
His first competitive fixtures would be qualifiers September 7 and 11, first at home to Northern Ireland and then away to Israel.
Capello has been unemployed since February, when he resigned from his position as England manager after four years in charge, in protest at interference in team affairs from the country’s FA.
Capello has vast experience in the game, winning the Champions League and the Italian and Spanish titles in spells with AC Milan, Juventus, AS Roma and Real Madrid.
- No extension option in Capello's contract: Russia FA - Jul 22, 2012
- Capello seeks to rein in player bonuses - Sep 03, 2012
- Russia plans to offer Capello two-year deal - Jul 07, 2012
- Capello to live in Russia if chosen as coach - Jul 14, 2012
- Capello brings England assistants to Russia - Jul 24, 2012
- Capello arrives in Moscow - Jul 21, 2012
- Capello seeks Russian assistant - Jul 22, 2012
- I was 'pissed off' after England exit: Capello - Jul 26, 2012
- Arshavin jeers distracted Russia: Capello - Aug 16, 2012
- Dzyuba to miss World Cup qualifiers - Sep 05, 2012
- Russia name Capello as new national coach - Jul 16, 2012
- Russia to decide on new coach soon: Sports minister - Jul 05, 2012
- Capello signs for Russia - Jul 26, 2012
- Russia's foreign quota complicates my task: Capello - Jul 18, 2012
- Mostovoi ready to assist Capello - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: ac milan, august 15, champions league, dg, england manager, fabio capello, first game, ivory coast, main goal, milan juventus, nikita, northern ireland, plain sailing, qualification tournament, real madrid, ria novosti, russian football union, spanish titles, union chief, world cup