Cape Town gets set to give fitting, emotional farewell to NtiniJanuary 9th, 2011 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town (S. Africa), Jan.9 (ANI): Former South African fast bowler Makhaya Ntini’s farewell match at the Moses Mabhida Stadium here later this evening is expected to be charged with emotion.
Apart from honoring Ntini, the Twenty20 match between India and South Africa will also see batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar being honored for continued contribution to the progress of cricket, as also the commemoration of 150 years of Indians in South Africa. It will also pay tribute to the first South African team to tour India in 1991. All that will end with a Bollywood extravaganza.
Though the Moses Mabhida Stadium doesn’t have the dimensions of an international cricket field, the venue is best recognized by its arch and regarded as one of the most beautiful venues built for the 2010 Football World Cup.
The match has been sold out with over 50,000 fans expected to pack into the stadium. It will be the biggest attendance for a cricket match on the African continent.
In 101 Tests that he played for South Africa, Ntini claimed 390 wickets. He played 173 one-day internationals and claimed 266 wickets. He claimed six wickets in nine Twenty20 matches. (ANI)
- Ntini bids farewell to international cricket - Jan 10, 2011
- Ntini retires from international cricket - Jan 10, 2011
- India to play one-off Twenty20 in South Africa - Mar 05, 2012
- Ntini announces retirement from international cricket - Nov 02, 2010
- Amla recalled to SA's Twenty20 squad - Dec 29, 2010
- Sharma stars in India's 21-run T20 win over Proteas - Jan 10, 2011
- South Afroca have to galvanise themselves as a team: Ntini - May 11, 2012
- Women's cricket: Bangladesh shock South Africa by two wickets - Sep 07, 2012
- On being dropped, Ntini accused me of racism: Arthur - Nov 06, 2010
- Kallis is South African Cricketer of the Year - Jun 08, 2011
- Zaheer snaps 250 wickets, Pathan hits maiden 50 against Proteas (Match highlights) - Jan 19, 2011
- SRK, Priyanka Chopra And Shahid Kapoor Dance In Durban - Jan 06, 2011
- U-19 World Cup: India face New Zealand for place in final (Preview) - Aug 22, 2012
- South Africa beat India by 11 runs (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- 'Guards' strikes will not jeopardise World Cup security' - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: african continent, attendance, cape town, commemoration, cricket field, cricket match, day internationals, emotion, emotional farewell, extravaganza, football world cup, indians, international cricket, maestro, moses, sachin, south africa, tribute, venue, wickets