Cao trails Ryan 6-2 after first session at world snookerApril 28th, 2012 - 2:30 pm ICT by IANS
Sheffield (England), April 28 (IANS) Ryan Day of Wales took a comfortable 6-2 lead over China’s Cao Yupeng in the first session of their last-16 match at the world snooker championship here.
Debutant Cao had several clear chances but missed some crucial shots which allowed the Welshman to build up a commanding lead in the best-of-25-frames contest, reports Xinhua.
The 21-year-old rookie is the only Chinese player advancing to the last 16 after his compatriot Ding Junhui was upset by Ryan 10-9 in the first round.
With four frames advantage, the 32-year-old Welshman will go into the second session Saturday with confidence.
Australian Neil Robertson became the first to reach the quarter-finals after his 13-9 victory over David Gilbert Friday night.
The 2010 world champion looks good to win his second Crucible title after strong performance in the last two rounds. He will meet Ronnie O’Sullivan or Mark Williams in the last eight.
Stephen Maguire moved closer to the quarter-finals after he won six of the eight frames in the second session against Joe Perry, consolidating a 11-5 lead.
The world No. 7 needs just two more frames Saturday to secure a last-eight berth against Stephen Hendry or John Higgins.
Seven-time “Crucible King” Hendry just stood on the brink of fending off the defending champion John Higgins as he led 12-4 after the second session.
Four times world champion Higgins now looks certain to fail in his bid to retain the title in front of the in-form 43-year-old veteran.
Hendry only needs one frame to book an 18th quarter-final appearance at Sheffield in the final session.
Second round (last-16, best of 25 frames) :
Neil Robertson (Australia) beat David Gilbert (England) 13-9; Stephen Maguire (Scotland) leads Joe Perry (England) 11-5; Stephen Hendry, (Scotland) leads John Higgins (Scotland) 12-4; Ryan Day (Wales) leads Cao Yupeng (China) 6-2.
- Cao trails Ryan 2-6 after first session at world snooker (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- World snooker: Cao Yupeng loses, Hendry thrashes holder - Apr 29, 2012
- O'Sullivan reaches World snooker semis - May 03, 2012
- Ryan Day takes slender lead against Ding in world snooker - Apr 25, 2012
- British champion Trump suffers shock defeat in snooker championship - May 01, 2012
- Snooker king Hendry ends 27-year career - May 02, 2012
- Chinese debutant Cao stuns Allen at world snooker - Apr 23, 2012
- Mark Williams in last 16 of snooker worlds - Apr 27, 2012
- Carter, O'Sullivan set up second final encounter at snooker - May 06, 2012
- Seeded players keep failing at world snooker - Apr 26, 2012
- Hendry cruises into second round of China Open - Mar 27, 2012
- Jones shocks Murphy on world snooker championship debut - Apr 24, 2012
- O'Sullivan puts one foot in snooker final - May 05, 2012
- Pankaj Advani beats former World No.1 Higgins - Aug 25, 2012
- Allen apologises to Cao Yupeng after accusing him of cheating - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: champion john, chinese player, commanding lead, compatriot, contest reports, david gilbert, defending champion, final session, joe perry, john higgins, neil robertson, old veteran, ronnie o sullivan, second session, sheffield england, stephen hendry, stephen maguire, welshman, world champion, world snooker championship