Can’t wait to play alongside Cole: GerrardJuly 21st, 2010 - 4:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jul 21 (ANI): Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard has provided a major boost to the club by pledging to stay at Anfield, and said he cannot wait to play alongside new signing Joe Cole.
Skipper Gerrard, 30, returned to Melwood for pre-season training yesterday and put the record straight on his own plans.
He revealed how new boss Roy Hodgson convinced him to stay after his relationship with ex-chief Rafa Benitez unravelled last season, The Sun reports.
“I made it clear I needed to concentrate on the World Cup, then have a decent holiday with my family. I wanted the chance to meet Roy Hodgson and having done so, I’m very impressed with his plans,” Gerrard said.
“I’ve only returned to training today at Melwood with some of the other World Cup players but I can’t wait for the new season to start,” he said.
Gerrard is also relishing the chance to play alongside England teammate Cole.
The Anfield hero played a key role in persuading the midfielder to leave London while they were together in South Africa.
“I have seen first hand just how good Joe is. He has proved his ability over many years, sometimes against us - so it’ll be fantastic to play alongside him in a red shirt for Liverpool,” Gerrard said.
“I’ve told him what a great club this is and I’m sure Joe’s the sort of exciting talent our fans will love to see. It’s a great signing for us,” he added. (ANI)
- Liverpool offers Joe Cole massive 4.7 million pounds deal - Jul 18, 2010
- Torres keeps Liverpool guessing about his future - Jul 22, 2010
- Liverpool sack manager Roy Hodgson, Dalglish returns - Jan 08, 2011
- Liverpool signs Cole for 19 million pounds - Jul 20, 2010
- Tevez urges Torres to join Man City - Jul 28, 2010
- Benitez's six-year-rule with Liverpool ends with a sack - Jun 03, 2010
- Danglish throws his hat in for Liverpool manager's job - Jun 09, 2010
- Cole's swipe at Chelsea, says he joined the biggest club in England - Jul 22, 2010
- Furious Hodgson not to condemn Capello after Gerrard's plea - Nov 20, 2010
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Hodgson refuses to discuss his Liverpool future - Jan 06, 2011
- Its do or die against Tottenham: Benitez - Jan 20, 2010
- Liverpool ask Dalglish to look for Benitez's successor - Jun 04, 2010
- Gerrard terms flare-up rumours as 'fantasy' - Jan 20, 2010
- Gerrard becomes the top-scoring Brit player in Europe - Feb 26, 2010
Tags: anfield, england, hero, joe cole, key role, liverpool, london, melwood, midfielder, new boss, pre season training, rafa benitez, relationship, roy hodgson, skipper, south africa, steven gerrard, sun reports, teammate, world cup players