Can’t be complacent against Sri Lanka: India coachDecember 5th, 2011 - 10:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) India football coach Savio Medeira has asked his boys to stay grounded after the 5-0 thrashing of Bhutan in the SAFF Cup here Monday and not to be complacent for their next group game against Sri Lanka.
India, the title holders, and Afghanistan, who beat Sri Lanka 3-1 earlier in the day, are tied on four points each but India are ahead on the goal difference. Sri Lanka are third while Bhutan are fourth.
A draw against Sri Lanka in their last group encounter Wednesday would be enough for India to sail into the semifinal stage. But a defeat may end India’s hopes of defending their title.
“Today the team played well, but we have to be grounded. We have a crucial match against Sri Lanka in two days and we cannot be complacent. It is like a do-or-die match for us,” said Medeira.
The Goan lauded Syed Rahim Nabi and Clifford Miranda for their performances against Bhutan.
“Nabi was great on the flanks. He was very useful in the first match against Afghanistan as well,” he said.
On Miranda, Medeira said: “He always plays well for the club. But whenever he plays badly for the country he gets the flak. This has to stop.”
The coach also said that striker Sunil Chettri, who struck twice, still needs some time to recover from jetlag.
“He was good in both the matches. But I think he still needs some time to recover from jetlag,” he said.
- SAFF Cup: India sans Sameer Naik in must-win match against Bhutan - Dec 04, 2011
- SAFF Cup: Tough for India against Maldives in semifinal - Dec 08, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India need draw against Sri Lanka for semi-final berth - Dec 06, 2011
- Cramped schedule not helping players, says Medeira - Dec 07, 2011
- SAFF Cup football: India slam five against hapless Bhutan - Dec 05, 2011
- I always give 100 percent be it country or club: Clifford - Dec 06, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India coach rejects favourites tag - Dec 01, 2011
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- Chettri, Jeje to miss friendly against Zambia - Nov 28, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India beat Sri Lanka 3-0, face Maldives in semifinal - Dec 07, 2011
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- 'SAFF Cup for U-23 if seniors get 12 internationals' - Dec 12, 2011
- Medeira blasts referee for denying penalty to India - Dec 03, 2011
- SAFF final: Afghanistan will not be easy meat for India - Dec 10, 2011
- SAFF Cup: India gear up for a tough start against Afghanistan - Dec 02, 2011