Campbell-Brown eyes Rio 2016 despite London disappointmentAugust 14th, 2012 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 14 (IANS/CMC) Jamaica’s Veronica Campbell-Brown says she is eyeing a fifth consecutive Olympics despite her disappointing outing at the London Games.
The marquee sprinter captured bronze in the 100 metres behind compatriot Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce who won gold. She also failed to defend her 200m title, finishing fourth as American Allyson Felix emerged champion.
At 30 and with four Olympics behind her, Campbell-Brown said she believed she can compete at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janiero, reports CMC.
“I think so, hopefully. I will be 34, my idol (Merlene Ottey) is 52 and she is still running,” Campbell-Brown said.
“I just need to take care of my body, stay focus. I think I’m looking forward, hopefully I’ll be there.”
Campbell-Brown won the 200m Olympic title in Athens eight years ago and in Beijing 2008, and also picked up gold at the World Championship in Daegu last year.
She entered London 2012 following an ordinary season, however, and failed to land a podium finish.
However, she managed to add silver in the women’s sprint relay to her collection, and said she was pleased with how things had turned out in London.
“I’m happy and I give God thanks for finishing healthy and going home with two medals. I have to be thankful,” she said.
“I think I have few more races and just take a break, regroup and get ready for next year.”
She was especially thankful for the success of the 4×100m relay team after being part of the ill-fated Beijing quartet that dropped the baton.
Despite losing to the Americans, the Jamaicans came home in a national record 41.41 seconds.
“It is excellent we broke the national record last year. We broke it this year so we are improving.”
- Olympics athletics: Fraser-Pryce wins women's 100m gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Pryce retains 100m crown to make history (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Fraser-Pryce upbeat ahead of 100-m semis - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: US takes on the Caribbean in women's 200m final - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Veronica says it will be tough to retain 200m crown - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Francis tips Fraser-Pryce for sprint double - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Fraser-Pryce through to 200 semis, Walker falls - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Stewart quietly confident despite setbacks - Aug 01, 2012
- James gets Olympic warm-up win, Fraser-Pryce loses - Jul 15, 2012
- Jamaican sprinter appeals for help for junior athletes - Sep 10, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Bolt to lead Jamaican charge at World Championships - Aug 17, 2011
- Blake stuns Bolt for second time to win 200m - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,