CA urged to appoint independent governing bodyApril 14th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Apr 14 (ANI): Cricket Australia (CA) has been urged to appoint an independent governing body.
Under CA’s current rules, the state cricket associations each appoint their own delegates to the board, with the numbers weighted in favour of founding members NSW, Victoria and South Australia.
The call comes during a CA-commissioned governance review, led by two experts, David Crawford and Colin Carter, with past links to the AFL Commission.
Wisden editor Scyld Berry, who has visited Australia several times, including for the recent Ashes series, said he was disheartened that Australian Rules football was taking cricket’s place as the national team sport, The Sydney Morning herald reports.
He traced it back to the then-VFL’s formation of an independent commission in the 1980s, leading to national expansion and financial growth.
“Now the Victorian Football League is the Australian Football League, thriving nationwide and attracting young elite athletes with its average salary of $230,000, twice that of the state cricketer, and with 800 jobs available - eight times as many as in professional cricket,” Berry said in the editor’s notes for Wisden Almanack.
Crawford oversaw the 1992 report that resulted in the current structure of the AFL Commission, while Carter was an AFL commissioner for 15 years. (ANI)
- Experts named for Cricket Australia's state-based structure review - Feb 09, 2011
- Australian players fear state boards may thwart CA reforms - Feb 03, 2012
- Five Indians in Wisden Test XI true reflection of World No.1 team - Apr 14, 2011
- Wisden names only four 'Cricketers of the Year' excluding tainted Pak bowler Amir - Apr 08, 2011
- Cricket Australia could be in for overhaul - Dec 06, 2011
- NSW says it won't block Cricket Australia reforms - Feb 11, 2012
- Australia's cricket future is in good shape - Oct 27, 2011
- Cricket Australia must make cricket a more inclusive game in Australia: Jones - Jan 15, 2011
- Cricket Australia 'deliberately stalling' review of Ashes loss - Feb 21, 2011
- Cricket Bible Wisden to branch out into other sports with new imprint - Jun 03, 2010
- Wisden India to be launched next year - Oct 10, 2011
- Divert Oz teenage athletes back to cricket: Border - Jan 16, 2011
- Roebuck has committed suicide: South African police - Nov 13, 2011
- Wisden honour not as important as returning to cricket, says 'dumped' Aamir - Apr 10, 2011
- Pakistan-born Australian cricketer granted India visa - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: afl commission, australian football league, australian rules football, average salary, cricket associations, cricket australia, cricketer, david crawford, eight times, elite athletes, governing body, independent commission, morning herald, national expansion, scyld berry, south australia, sydney morning herald, team sport, victorian football league, wisden almanack