CA plans city-based T20 to reduce dependence on Indian financesFebruary 1st, 2011 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Feb 1 (ANI): Cricket Australia will do an extensive review of the national team’s failure to be competitive for most of the Ashes series next Tuesday and is also expected to endorse detailed plans for next summer’s expansive city-based Twenty20 competition.
Having already elected to place an extra two expansion teams in NSW and Victoria, the board will decide on the precise locations of those clubs, which will compete alongside rival capital city teams in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Hobart.
The ultimate goal is to generate enough money to free CA from its state of reliance on Indian finance, and to foster a new approach to cricket programming where international matches come around less often.
An independent chairperson is being sought to assess the wider problems in the game’s Australian structure that led to the crushing 3-1 home-series defeat.
Former captain Steve Waugh has been mooted as a possible overseer or contributor, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“What we’re keen on is someone external with expertise that would allow them to manage a review, and we’re looking at a range of people across corporate Australia. We’re looking for someone with some grunt, who can make recommendations that are respected,” a CA spokesman said. (ANI)
- CA calls board meeting to come out of Ashes mess - Jan 31, 2011
- Ashes mess: Cricket Australia facing pivotal board meeting - Jan 31, 2011
- Cricket Australia reinstate tri-series with India and Sri Lanka - Jun 14, 2011
- CA admits Big Bash will not be a money spinner - May 05, 2011
- CA urged to appoint independent governing body - Apr 14, 2011
- Cricket Australia 'deliberately stalling' review of Ashes loss - Feb 21, 2011
- Hip injury to Steven Smith sours Australia's record chase - Feb 03, 2011
- Steve Waugh still waiting for call from Cricket Australia - Jan 16, 2011
- England aims to win all matches in Australia, not just Ashes Tests: Gooch - Nov 17, 2010
- Cricket Australia appoints Marsh, Bichel as selectors - Nov 10, 2011
- Oz selectors chief Hilditch's job is safe for time being - Mar 11, 2011
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Ponting is elephant in the room, says Cairns - Nov 30, 2011
- Former players back Katich; why sack only him, asks Warne - Jun 09, 2011
- Three former Australian captains to look into Ashes debacle - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: adelaide, captain steve waugh, contributor, corporate australia, cricket australia, dependence, enough money, expansion teams, grunt, hobart, independent chairperson, indian finance, morning herald, new approach, overseer, perth, precise locations, sydney melbourne, sydney morning herald, t20