CA chief defends axed PontingFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 25 (IANS) Cricket Australia’s chief executive James Sutherland came out in support of former captain Ricky Ponting over claims he acted selfishly after his axing from Australia’s one day international team.
Former Australian pacer Geoff Lawson, described Ponting’s media conference after he was axed as “one of the most self-indulgent little pieces of self-interest I’ve seen for a long time”.
“I listened very intently to it and there was a lot of ‘I’..’I this’ and ‘I that’ and how ‘I’m good for the team’ and I’m really annoyed by it,” Lawson told Sydney’s Sky Sports Radio.
Cricket Australia chief executive Sutherland all but specifically rebutted Lawson by expressing his bemusement at “people who have made [negative] comment in the past few days about Ricky’s press conference… saying that it was self-indulgent”.
“He was asked a question in there about ‘Well, have you come to announce you’re playing on?’ and I thought he answered it beautifully,” Sutherland said yesterday.
“He [Ponting] basically said ‘Well, there’s been this speculation and I feel that the fans deserve to know’, there’s nothing self-indulgent about that. It’s actually delivering the facts and telling people what has gone through his mind in arriving at that decision. The fans deserve that, and he obviously did as well.”
Ponting was dropped from the Australia ODI squad after a dismal run of form. He scored 18 runs in five matches of the ongoing tri-series involving Sri Lanka and India at an average of 3.6.
- CA has to improve communication with fans: Sutherland - Feb 18, 2012
- Ponting likely to continue as Oz skipper - Mar 14, 2011
- Ponting survives axe, CA endorses him as skipper - Dec 31, 2010
- Bellerive Oval doesn't seem to miss Ponting - Feb 24, 2012
- Australian media furious over 'most humiliating' Ashes loss - Dec 08, 2010
- Ashes 2010: Oz media strikes at 'beaten, broken, bereft' team with vengeance - Dec 08, 2010
- Lawson for complete overhaul of Cricket Australia following top-down disintegration - Feb 10, 2011
- Katich seeking legal advice over CA hearing - Nov 01, 2011
- Jaded Ponting cannot be rested, says Arthur - Feb 18, 2012
- Clarke admits role in Ponting's axing - Feb 23, 2012
- Ponting criticised for batting first on green SCG pitch - Jan 04, 2010
- Ashes series loss: Ponting welcomes thorough review - Jan 10, 2011
- Clarke's form may force CA to look at options for Ponting's successor: Sutherland - Dec 28, 2010
- Ponting shocked over Katich's omission - Jun 17, 2011
- Haddin dropped due to poor form, says CA - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: captain ricky ponting, chief executive, cricket australia, dismal run, few days, james sutherland, lawson, little pieces, long time, odi squad, pacer, radio cricket, ricky, s media, self interest, sky sports, speculation, sports radio, sri lanka, tri series