BWF apologises for Olympic schedule changeJuly 28th, 2012 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) The playing schedule for the London Olympic’s badminton tournament, which starts Saturday at the Wembley Arena, has been dramatically revised following a meeting of participating national Olympic committees’ team managers.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) apologised for the “incovenience caused” to players in a statement released late Thursday after it became clear that the original schedule published Wednesday did not follow the relevant competition regulations regarding the correct sequence of matches.
It means, for example, that world champion mixed doubles duo Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei of China, who had been expecting to start their campaign against British pair Chris Adcock/Imogen Bankier Sunday, will now not play each other until Tuesday. Instead they are due to start their round-robin Saturday evening against German duo Michael Fuchs/Birgit Michels.
A statement signed by BWF technical delegate Pisaqn Rangsikitpho and tournament referee Torsten Berg said: “The top-ranked player in a group shall play the lowest-ranked player first and the second-ranked player last in the group matches.”
“As the IOC required the application of this sequence when the group play was accepted in the Olympic Games regulations for the badminton competition, it was decided to revise the playing schedule accordingly.”
“We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this change.”
- Olympics: BWF apologises for scheduling change - Jul 28, 2012
- BWF expects new faces, new format at London Olympics - Jul 16, 2012
- Olympics badminton: South Korean appeal rejected - Aug 02, 2012
- Saina rises to World No.4 - Aug 09, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Indonesia slaps bans on scandal-tainted shuttlers - Sep 05, 2012
- Saina crashes out of Denmark Open - Oct 20, 2011
- IOC to investigate coaches' role in badminton scandal - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Eight players disqualified (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Eight badminton players thrown out (Third Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- World Badminton Federation suspends Pakistan's membership - Apr 04, 2011
- Jwala, Ashwini lose Olympic opener - Jul 28, 2012
- We fully respect BWF ruling: Chinese Olympic delegation - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Four women's doubles pair suspended (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- BAI gets green signal for Indian Open - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: badminton tournament, badminton world federation bwf, bankier, chris adcock, competition regulations, correct sequence, german duo, group play, incovenience, michael fuchs, national olympic committees, olympic schedule, ranked player, team managers, technical delegate, torsten berg, tournament referee, wembley arena, world champion, zhang nan