Button wins Australian Grand PrixMarch 29th, 2009 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 29 (ANI): Britain’s Jenson Button led home a sensational one-two finish for Brawn GP in its debut Formula One team start at the Australian Grand Prix on Sunday.
Button rocketed away from the pole to lead throughout the 58 laps of the season-opener and kept clear of the mayhem behind him to cruise home in a safety car finish for his second victory in 154 GPs.
The 29-year-old was never headed in the 58-lap race, beating teammate Rubens Barrichello and Toyota’s Jarno Trulli.
Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton finished third in his McLaren.
The race finished behind the safety car after Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel and BMW-Sauber’s Robert Kubica first collided, then crashed separately, when running second and third respectively with three laps remaining.
Australian Mark Webber had a nightmarish start to his hometown race, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The team, owned by former Ferrari engineer Ross Brawn, took a maximum 18 constructors’ points out of the Australian opener and raised hopes of an unexpected title challenge this season against champions Ferrari and McLaren. (ANI)
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Button wins classy Australian GP as Vettel is stopped again - Mar 28, 2010
- Raikkonen wins Belgium GP, Force India get first points - Aug 30, 2009
- Vettel wins from pole in Suzuka, opens title race - Oct 04, 2009
- Alonso fastest in Belgian Grand Prix practice - Aug 27, 2010
- Button wins Australian GP, Force India's Di Resta gets a point - Mar 18, 2012
- Formula 1: Button gets pole again, Ferrari, McLaren lag behind - Apr 04, 2009
- Button wins again as Vettle makes early mistake - Jun 07, 2009
- Force India's Hulkenberg finishes fourth in Belgium - Sep 02, 2012
- Sensational pole for Force India's Fisichella in Spa - Aug 29, 2009
- Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10 - Mar 25, 2012
- Force India's Fisichella makes history, Raikkonen wins - Aug 30, 2009
- New venues invariably slotted at end - Oct 25, 2011
- Button wins chaotic Malaysian Grand Prix in Sepang - Apr 05, 2009
- Sentimental backing for Force India, 'Dream come true' for Karthikeyan (Preview) - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: australian grand prix, bmw sauber, grand prix melbourne, hometown race, jarno trulli, jenson button, lap race, lewis hamilton, mark webber, red bull, robert kubica, ross brawn, rubens barrichello, safety car, season opener, sebastian vettel, sydney morning herald, title challenge, unexpected title, world champion