Button “agrees deal with McLaren”; Glock joins ManorNovember 17th, 2009 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
London/Hamburg, Nov 17 (DPA) Formula One world champion Jenson Button has agreed terms to join McLaren in a “dream team” with the 2008 title-holder Lewis Hamilton, it was reported Tuesday.
The Guardian newspaper said it “understands that the world champion has turned his back on Brawn following protracted negotiations” and will almost double his salary at McLaren.
The report said the Button has agreed a 6-million-pound ($10 million) deal and could sign a three-year contract in all-British line-up within the next few days.
Button, 29, was given a guided tour of of McLaren’s factory last Friday, the report added.
Button’s decision, if confirmed, comes after news that German carmaker Mercedes-Benz is to buy a majority stake in the Brawn GP team, heralding the return of a Mercedes works team to Formula One for the first time in 55 years.
It is thought there could possibly be an all German line-up in the Mercedes team with Nico Rosberg partnering Nick Heidfeld.
Meanwhile Germany’s Timo Glock has signed for the new Manor team which makes its Formula One debut next year, the team said.
Glock, 27, has agreed a two-year contract with Manor with an option for a further year after racing for Toyota for the last two seasons.
Glock, who was a free agent after the Japanese team pulled out of F1 at the end of the season, will be the lead driver for the British-based team.
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Vettel edges Hamilton for Malaysian Grand Prix pole - Apr 09, 2011
- Mercedes F1 team makes 'choose your job' offer to Michael Schumacher - Nov 25, 2009
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Ross Brawn rules out Schumacher's return for Mercedes - Nov 24, 2009
- Button's best future is with us: Brawn - Nov 18, 2009
- Maldonado tops second practice at wet Hockenheim - Jul 20, 2012
- Button signs new contract with McLaren - Oct 05, 2011
- Brawn GP-owner Mercedes rules out increasing Button's offer - Nov 17, 2009
- Rosberg wins maiden F1 race in China, Force India draw blank - Apr 15, 2012
- Ross Brawn criticises Button for leaving his F1 team - Apr 27, 2010
- Hamilton wins Chinese Grand Prix to end Vettel's winning streak - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: dream team, formula one, free agent, german carmaker, german line, glock 27, gp team, guardian newspaper, japanese team, jenson button, last friday, lewis hamilton, majority stake, mercedes benz, mercedes team, nick heidfeld, rosberg, timo glock, two seasons, world champion