‘Busy’ Darren Gough turns down Cameron’s request to stand as Conservative MPFebruary 10th, 2011 - 6:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 10(ANI): Former England fast bowler Darren Gough has turned down British Prime Minister David Cameron’s request to stand as a Conservative MP in Barnsley, a town in South Yorkshire, England.
According to the Telegraph, Cameron called Gough personally to broach the idea of taking part in the March 3 by-election in Barnsley Central.
The 40-year-old, however, decided that his other commitments made him too busy to be an MP.
“Darren Gough is a supporter of the party and will be taking part in the campaign for Barnsley. He will not be standing as an MP however,” a Conservative party spokesman confirmed.
Barnsley has three MPs- Angela Smith for Penistone and Stocksbridge and Michael Dugher for Barnsley East. Eric Illsley was the MP for Barnsley Central before he resigned over a parliamentary expenses scam.
The three are all members of the Labour Party. (ANI)
- Former UK MP jailed for role in expenses scandal - Feb 11, 2011
- Former British MP Illsley pleads guilty to false accounting - Jan 11, 2011
- Ex-England star Gough slams 'pathetic' dumping of Pietersen - Sep 02, 2010
- 'Strictly Come Dancing' experience gave me confidence to join TV industry: Gough - Dec 25, 2010
- Brit celebrity stalker gets "orgasmic" over roly-poly minister Eric Pickles - Sep 15, 2010
- Indian man faces deportation from Britain - Mar 09, 2012
- Blair, Brown not invited to Wills-Kat wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- 'Pay me 10,000 pounds for access to British PM' - Jan 15, 2012
- Train in sauna to battle Sri Lanka heat, Gough tells England - Mar 26, 2012
- Gough backs Tremlett to replace injured Broad for Perth Test - Dec 10, 2010
- British judge criticises police over leniency for French miscreants - Jul 29, 2012
- Ex-minister Sriramulu meets Janardhana Reddy in jail - Nov 08, 2011
- Autistic teenager dies as tanning spray sets off fire - Jun 29, 2012
- Briton serving jail for biting wife, finds new fiancee - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress should regain lost ground in Telangana, says party MP - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: barnsley, british prime minister, commitments, conservative mp, conservative party, darren gough, david cameron, labour party, london feb, minister david, mps, party spokesman, penistone, south yorkshire england, telegraph, yorkshire