Bulgarian grandmaster claims world record by playing 360 games simultaneouslyFebruary 24th, 2009 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 24 (ANI): A Bulgarian grandmaster has reportedly broken the world record for the highest number of chess games being played simultaneously.
Kiril Georgiev played a total of 360 games simultaneously, winning 284, drawing 70 and losing six, during a marathon that lasted 14 hours and 8 minutes in Sofias Inter Expo Centre.
The record number of games and the winning percentage of 88 per cent will allow Georgiev to apply formally for entry into the Guinness Book of World Records, Scotsman.com reported.
His percentage total is reached by having each win count as a point and each draw as a half point. That means Georgiev scored 319 points out of a possible 360.
The Guinness Book says the current record for most simultaneous games played was set in 2005 by Susan Polgar, the Hungarian-American four-time womens world champion.
Polgar played 326 games, winning 309, drawing 14 and losing only three. (ANI)
- 'Hungarian president didn't plagarise thesis' - Jan 12, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- Chess champ Anand against playing 'in silence' during world championship - Apr 24, 2010
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- 70 cms tall actor aims at second Guinness entry - Aug 24, 2012
- Texas Tech chess player earns grandmaster title - Jul 03, 2010
- World junior chess: Koushik shocks Sjugirov - Aug 10, 2011
- Marquinhos, Perea to join Changchun Yatai - Jul 13, 2012
- Third generation goalkeeper is Bulgaria's best footballer - Dec 24, 2011
- Caruana takes sole lead in AAI Chess - Jun 24, 2011
- Grover picks up full point in world junior chess - Aug 05, 2011
- AAI Chess: Sasikiran has outside chance for top spot - Jul 01, 2011
- Humpy leads at women's chess meet - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: book of world records, chess, chess games, drawing, expo centre, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, half point, hungarian, london feb, marathon, scotsman, simultaneous games, susan polgar, world champion, world record