Bulgaria stun the Netherlands with win in Amsterdam friendlyMay 27th, 2012 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Amsterdam, May 27 (IANS) The Dutch football team were left disappointed after a 1-2 loss to Bulgaria here in the first of three friendlies before the start of Euro 2012 championship.
Bulgaria captured the win in injury-time Saturday, handing the Netherlands its third defeat in the last five internationals and the fifth defeat under coach Bert van Marwijk.
Van Marwijk opted for Bundesliga top scorer Klaas-Jan Huntelaar as central striker and gave Premier League top scorer Robin van Persie a right wing position. Wesley Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart completed the four attacking positions, reported Xinhua.
PSV defender Jetro Willems, who heard he was named in the final Euro 2012 squad earlier Saturday, made his debut. The last debutant who was younger than Willems was Gerald Vanenburg (18 years, 40 days) versus Greece in April 1982.
Just like the rest of the team Willems did not play well in the first half, with the Dutch creating very few chances. The home-team lost central defender Joris Mathijsen, who was substituted by Wilfred Bouma, due to an injury.
Bulgaria was close to the opening goal when Valeri Bojinov hit the crossbar from a free-kick, but on the strike of half-time Holland found the net. Van Persie moved to the center and finished a pass by Sneijder in style.
In the second half Bulgaria equalized after a handball by Rafael van der Vaart, punished with a penalty which was converted by Ivelin Popov in the 50th minute. Ilijan Micanski headed in Bulgaria’s winner in injury-time.
- Netherlands defeat Slovakia in Rotterdam friendly - May 31, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last chance to change for Dutch team - Jun 16, 2012
- Netherlands crush Northern Ireland 6-0 - Jun 03, 2012
- Dutch still have chance despite defeat - Jun 14, 2012
- Dutch seek inspiration from 1988 Euro win - Jun 10, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Sneijder named captain of Dutch football team - Aug 15, 2012
- Can the highly talented Dutch finally win World Cup? (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: bert van marwijk, central defender, crossbar, debutant, dutch football team, euro 2012, free kick, friendlies, injury time, internationals, jetro, popov, rafael van der vaart, third defeat, top scorer, van der vaart, wesley sneijder, willems, wing position, xinhua