Buffon saves Totti’s penalty to extend Juventus’ unbeaten streakDecember 13th, 2011 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Dec 13 (IANS) Legendary goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon saved Francesco Totti’s second-half penalty as Juventus registered a 1-1 draw at Roma to extend their unbeaten run in Italian Serie A football to 14 games.
Daniele De Rossi had put the hosts in front in the sixth minute, but Giorgio Chiellini equalised on the hour mark. Roma had a chance to go in front two minutes later but Totti’s spot kick was saved by Buffon.
Roma head coach Luis Enrique admitted that he had expected Totti to score the penalty.
“I clearly expected it to be a goal,” he said. “I thought Francesco would do what he knows best, to score a goal. But he was faced with Buffon, who is an intimidating goalkeeper.”
The Turin giants climbed back to the top of the standings with the draw and are level on 30 points with Udinese, Xinhua reported.
“If I look at the table, then I can say we are doing extraordinary things, well beyond expectations at the start of the season,” said Antonio Conte, Juventus head coach.
“The fact people think Juve should win all the time shows we have become an important team,” he said.
The hosts got off to the perfect start, Arturo Vidal failing to clear Totti’s cross and De Rossi made no mistake in slotting the ball past Buffon.
“I enjoyed the first five minutes of the game, then I saw Juve are a great side and their coach has given them real character. The attitude of my team was wonderful, even with three or more players missing,” said Enrique.
Juventus picked up where they left off after the re-start and levelled in the 61st minute when Chiellini headed Estigarribia’s cross-shot past Stekelenburg.
Roma could have gone back in front one minute later after Vidal brought down Erik Lamela in the area. Totti struck the resulting spot kick with power but right down the middle and Buffon kept it out.
Juventus then had an opportunity to take all three points with two minutes remaining when Eljero Elia found substitute Fabio Quagliarella in the box and his strike was saved by Stekelenburg.
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- Juventus ahead in Italian league title race - Apr 23, 2012
- Juventus beat Catania to top Serie A - Feb 19, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Juventus beat Atalanta to lead midway in Serie A - Jan 22, 2012
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
- Juventus down Napoli 4-2 to win Italian Super Cup - Aug 11, 2012
- Inter draw 0-0 with Roma in Italian Serie A - Sep 18, 2011
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Juventus surpass Milan to top Serie A - Apr 08, 2012
- Roma struggle to keep narrow lead despite dismissal - Jan 10, 2010
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Inter Milan rally against Juventus to clinch Italian Cup semi - Jan 29, 2010
- Pirlo penalty reminds me of Totti, says De Rossi - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: antonio conte, arturo vidal, de rossi, erik lamela, extraordinary things, first five minutes, francesco totti, gianluigi buffon, giorgio chiellini, goalkeeper, head coach, important team, italian serie, juventus, luis enrique, turin, two minutes, udinese, unbeaten streak, xinhua