Buffon fears his World Cup could be overJune 16th, 2010 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Centurion, South Africa, June 16 (DPA) Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon fears that back problems could bring a premature end to his World Cup participation.
“I am very worried about my World Cup,” the player told Italian daily “La Gazzetta dello Sport” Wednesday.
Losing the Juventus goalkeeper would be a major blow for the defending champions. “Buffon is a unique player” said the president of the Italian Federation, Giancarlo Abete.
The 32-year-old goalkeeper will have more tests today in a Pretoria clinic. The Italian team doctor Enrico Castellacci has diagnosed a sciatica problem but said: “For the moment we cannot say when he will be back.”
The fear is that he will not be able to return before the quarter-finals and many believe his World Cup is over. If he has to go home coach Marcello Lippi will call-up Palermo keeper Salvatore Sirigu.
Buffon went off in Italy’s first game against Paraguay, and was replaced by Cagliari keeper Federico Marchetti.
- Lippi's list of 23 Azzurri ready for World Cup - Jun 02, 2010
- Buffon to extend Juventus deal - Sep 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Buffon to undergo back surgery - Jun 20, 2010
- Reigning champs Italy held to a draw by Paraguay - Jun 15, 2010
- Italy start title defence with a draw; Dutch, Japan win (Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 15, 2010
- Italy improve in last friendly before World Cup trip - Jun 06, 2010
- Italy's Chiellini to miss Euro quarters against England - Jun 21, 2012
- All Whites happy with spoiler role against Italy - Jun 19, 2010
- Titleholders Italy eliminated as Slovakia advance (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- Can Italy defend the World cup tile? (Group F team profile) - May 31, 2010
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- Juventus still in touch despite poor form - Oct 05, 2009
- Play it again Marcello, say world champions Italy (Team Profile) - Nov 30, 2009
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: cagliari, centurion, coach marcello lippi, doctor enrico, first game, gazzetta dello sport, giancarlo, gianluigi buffon, goalkeeper, home coach, italian federation, italian team, la gazzetta dello, la gazzetta dello sport, marcello lippi, marchetti, pretoria, quarter finals, sciatica, team doctor