Buchanan’s role with England cricket team may be stumped by lack of fundsAugust 19th, 2010 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Aug 19 (ANI): Former Australia’s coach John Buchanan could be denied a role with theEngland cricket team due to funding earmarked for the team being reallocated for the 2012 British Olympic campaign.
The England and Wales Cricket Board has been informed that the money to hire Buchanan as a coaching consultant might not be available, as the ECB was planning to use him to win their first series in Australia since 1986-87.
“One of things that was said, obviously the world economy is still not in great shape, the England economy is not in great shape, and with the Olympics in 2012, it is going to suck quite a bit of funds out,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Buchanan, as saying.
“The ECB may not have the funds or the flexibility - that may impact their decision on whether to take me on,” he added.
Buchanan has just returned from England where he met ECB officials, pitching his services long-term rather than solely for their Ashes campaign.
The ECB is the most government-funded sporting organisation in Britain but has been given the smallest increase in funding of all sporting codes in the past two years as Sport England looks to strengthen Olympic sports.
The ECB is expected to make a decision within two weeks. (ANI)
- Buchanan to assist England for Ashes - Aug 08, 2010
- Waugh ready to come to the aid of 'hammered' Aussies - Jan 08, 2011
- Flower says England not satisfied, wants series victory in fifth Ashes Test - Dec 30, 2010
- Gatting credits England's Ashes success to Flower and Strauss - Dec 30, 2010
- Cricket Australia's 'workshop' to win back Ashes - Aug 15, 2010
- English celebrations must wait until Sydney Ashes Test win: Fletcher - Dec 31, 2010
- Oz 'celebrities' took their eyes off Ashes aim, says ex-Cricket Australia Chairman - Jan 08, 2011
- Steve Waugh still waiting for call from Cricket Australia - Jan 16, 2011
- Aussies must embrace criticism to revive on-field fortunes: Kasprowicz - Jan 17, 2011
- England eyeing million-pound bonus for outright Ashes series win - Jan 02, 2011
- Current Oz team will be first to lose Ashes at home since 1986-87: Poll - Nov 07, 2010
- England 'delighted' with historic Ashes series win Down Under: Strauss - Jan 07, 2011
- England's three innings victories, a first in away series - Jan 07, 2011
- Buchanan confirmed as New Zealand cricket's director - Apr 15, 2011
- Australia also needs director of cricket to regain top cricket billing: Buchanan - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: australia, coach john, ecb, england and wales, england and wales cricket board, england cricket team, england economy, flexibility, great shape, john buchanan, money, morning herald, olympic campaign, olympic sports, olympics, sport england, sydney morning herald, wales cricket board, world economy