Bubba Watson Wins The Travelers ChampionshipJune 28th, 2010 - 8:16 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
June 28, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Bubba Watson registered his maiden USA PGA Tour win at the Travelers Championship as the golfer defied Scott Verplank with a par at the second hole of a play off after overcoming a six stroke deficit.
The golfer hailing from Florida Panhandle ended with a 4-under 66 to be at par with Scott Verplank. After the winning 3-footer shot, Bubba Watson, driven with glory and emotions hugged his wife Angie as tears of joy rolled down from his eyes. Whilst speaking to the media after registering the mammoth win, Bubba Watson said he was so nervous that he was not able to feel his arms during the final putt. However, the golfer held his nerve and surpassed his opponent to clinch the much coveted Travelers Championship.
Justin Rose, who was billed as the favorite to win the championship disappointed his fans as he finished tied at the ninth spot. It was an all American show at Connecticut, as Bubba Watson battled it out for the championship title with Scott Verplank and United States Ryder captain, Corey Pavin. Veteran Corey Pavin moved out of the contention when he hit his tee shot just 219 yards during the first play off hole. Although Corey Pavin got eliminated, his chip shot of 3 feet earned him a standing ovation from the viewers.
Bubba Watson’s win puts an end to Europe’s winning streak at the championships. Prior to the Travelers Championship it was an all European show as Graeme McDowell clinched the US Open last week followed by Justin Rose, the winner of the Memorial and Lee Westwood, the champion of the St. Jude Classic.
- Curtis rises quickly in golf ranking, Westwood goes nowhere - Apr 24, 2012
- Atwal moves up five places in Travelers golf - Jun 27, 2010
- Westwood to defend title at Indonesian Masters - Apr 11, 2012
- McDowell becomes first Irishman to win US Open - Jun 21, 2010
- McDowell holds steady as star-studded field falls apart - Jun 21, 2010
- Europe players can use Twitter at Ryder Cup - Sep 29, 2010
- Ryder Cup 2010: Europe, US players asked to stop tweeting - Sep 28, 2010
- Ireland on track to win Mission Hills Golf World Cup - Nov 26, 2011
- Atwal makes cut at Travelers golf in US - Jun 26, 2010
- Tiger Woods' 'wrong shots' triggers laughter among fellow players - Mar 13, 2011
- American Mickelson storms to third Masters victory - Apr 12, 2010
- Donald moves a step closer to becoming world's top golfer - Apr 23, 2011
- Bubba Watson Ecstatic After Ryder Cup Win - Aug 16, 2010
- Bhullar finishes tied 20th in Indonesia - Apr 24, 2011
- Woods grabs early lead, but stumbles later at Whistling Straits golf tourney - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: 3 feet, bubba watson, chip shot, contention, corey pavin, florida panhandle, footer, gina gomez, graeme mcdowell, lee westwood, pga tour, ryder, scott verplank, second hole, st jude classic, standing ovation, tears of joy, travelers championship, wife angie, winning streak